Unexpected Landing

Inspector De Laurentis and Giovanni enter the arrival side of the Malta International Airport. Giovanni briefly stops admiring the identical arches so prominent on the building facade. They are a testament on this modern building of the local architecture from the early 1900's. The arches made of perfectly cut and fitted stones remind him of a Roman aqueduct crossing a valley. In the center of the building the glass wall covered by modern columns make for an interesting detail. Quite minimalistic and simple, the architect designed a functional space with visual details while maintaining costs.

De Laurentis stops as he realizes that his counterpart stayed behind, and addresses him
"So what will it be today, the bad caffe' or the greasy chicken?" The inspector refers to the limited option on the land side of the airport. Actually, Giovanni thinks that the choice is much better then the very limited offering by the Florence airport. Yet, when you pass days in an area designed for a couple of hours at most, it tends to be a bit boring.
"How about the watered down coffee of the chicken place?" Giovanni refers to the KFC with their American style coffee that the inspector calls dirty water. It does taste bland, when compared to a nice Italian espresso. But Giovanni hopes that maybe they will have lunch there. He actually enjoyed what the inspector refers as greasy chicken.
"Bleah, dirty water!" Is De Laurentis reply. "Oh well, at least they give you a big cup of it, so it will last longer."

Phone rings, the inspector picks it up.
"De Laurentis, speaking"
"Yes... yes... great, thank you." He is actually excited by the time he hangs up. Then to his younger partner he says. "It was Athen's airport. Our plane just filed a flight plan for a Casablanca Athens flight. Let's see if our gambling pays off."

They both rush to the airport's administration office. There, they see the head of security as they have already contacted him and he is aware of the situation.
"Ok," he states after De Laurentis tells him about the filed flight plan. "I will discuss with tower control. If the plane does make an unscheduled stop here, we will make it park on the apron on the right side of the arrival terminal. You will be able to see the plane, any vehicle that might approach it, as well as descending or entering passengers quite easily from outside the gates. Then it is up to you."
"Excellent, thank you very much for your help."
The head of security continues, "I will call you the minute they request for an authorization to land. I am curious to see if your theory is true."
"Me too." Adds the inspector.

Excited, both Italian police officers leave the office for the arrival terminal. This time they will not go in, but stay outside waiting in hope for the call.
A couple of hours later, the inspector's phone rings.
"Hello, De Laurentis here."
"Inspector, we just received the request for unscheduled landing. As agreed they will be asked to park on the right side of the building. Good luck."
"Thanks again. The inspector replies."

Sure enough they see the plane approaching the the area of the apron agreed with the head of security. A customs officer is already present to inspect the plane. A black Mercedes van also appears, clearly here to pick somebody up.

Eventually, after what seems an eternity of waiting, during which the customs officer has done his duty, a single passenger comes out the plane. He is on the short side, in his fifties probably, clean shaven with glasses. A round face and a belly, he seems to be the kind of person that is not used to heavy work. With a handkerchief he wipes his head as he descends from the plane, even if the frisk air should not really cause him to sweat.

"That is not Stenski, nor anyone else we know." Says Giovanni, as they take pictures from their vantage point.
"Of course not." Replies De Laurentis altered, "maybe someone else will come out."
But their hopes shatter as the plane shuts the door and begins rolling away, as the single passenger enters the black van.