Evening Walk

The evening in Bangkok is quite hot. Yet, it feels cool compared to the smoldering hot sun during the day. As we reach the street a taxi appears. Francesco is about to go on when I tell him.
"Forget it. Let's walk, it will do us some good."
He simply closes the door and walk beside me. The taxi speeds away and is lost in the permeating traffic. At night the town has a complete different feeling. The throng of people is different, everyone seems to have an air of mischief about them.
Above I clearly see the sky train and I know the hotel is along the line, so I simply follow it on the ground street, a few stops and we'll be there. I start walking Francesco following automatically behind in silence.
Navigating the night streets can be challenging. A myriad of stalls assault the sidewalk selling everything, but mostly street food. The stalls take most of the sidewalk so that passers by have to walk on the little space left or, more often then not, right in the street, negotiating the space with all the other vehicles that range from bicycles to trucks and of course the everdaring tuk tuk.
"Sir please, massage this way."
A scantly dressed girl barely in her teens smile at me bringing me back from my thoughts.
"No thanks." I reply smiling back and not slowing my stride clearly indicating that I am not interested. Both girls and boys have been trying to get my attention since we left the event.
I look at the mostly parked traffic; I am not sure that taking a taxi would be quicker, and being in silence in the closed confinement of the car alone with Francesco might not be a good idea right now. I can't believe what happened tonight, he was doing so much progress on his way of recovering his humanity and now this. Once again I have subjected him to great humiliations. Somehow I think at the way he looked at Aria, and I was jealous. Yet, I also think about Lady Bella's request. How would he react if he knew that, while he was smitten with the wench, her and her master are only interested in his sperm? Talk about adding affront to humiliation. However, now that I think about it, I was that young once, and if a nice young girl would offer 10,000 for my sperm I would be proud and jump at the opportunity without thinking twice. I can't help the smile that forms on my lips.
On the other hand, if I was to accept the offer, he would be treated like a thing again. I look in his direction, walking silently, head bowed, he should be a 18, 19 years old boy enjoying the best years of his life. Instead he is a slave treated like a prize stallion.
The cacophony of cars, street vendors and buzzing insects really drive me on edge right now. I take a deep breath but I am assaulted by the smell of spicy food, which would actually be pleasant, if it wouldn't have to compete with the smell of exhaust gases from cars and refuse. I really miss the Masseria in Ostuni right now and I wish this ordeal be over soon.
"Master," Francesco calls behind me, I almost missed the call with all the sounds. He sounds uncertain and shy and afraid again, plunging me in further despair that I was. What was I thinking?
"Yes Francesco" I dread what he is going to say, how am I going to defend my actions? I face him. He refuses to look back. He bits his lower lip clearly nervous. His shirt clings on him due to the sweat. The top buttons undone, exposing his strong chest. I focus on the puppy eyes and I can't hold myself so I just blurt out.
"Francesco, I am so sorry," jeez that sounds so lame, "about what happened tonight. If I could have thought of any way to avoid what happened I would have. You deserve so much more." Saying it loud make me realize how much I mean it right now even if it sounds lame.
"It's ok master, you warned me many times. It is just that...tonight was not just about Bobby. I knew many of the slaves that were there tonight. You know, when John was talking eunuchs and young boys? There was one boy training with us, he was about 9, they gave him singing lessons making him believe that he was special, he wasn't ready yet by the time they sold me, now I know what they probably did to him by now. We trained together to become good slaves. When I saw them like that, I could not hold it in anymore."
"Jeez, Francesco," If I thought I couldn't feel any worse I was wrong as I hit a new low. "I am so sorry, I did not realize that.., you never talk about the past... I could not imagine what must have been...you must have been through so much." What can I say to him to make it better? I have no understanding of his life, all that I take for granted, all that anyone takes for granted was removed from him. I can only make him a promise, a promise I will maintain no matter what, "It will be better, I promise. I don't know how, but it will."
He just stares at the floor as if I didn't even speak, then haltingly says.
"Master...Are you... Is it true you are going to... to sell me to Lady Bella?"
"What?" Of all I would have expected for him to say this was the most unexpected and takes me totally by surprise. "No! Of course not!" I reply after my initial shock. "Who gave you that idea!"
"Her lady in waiting, Aria. She said that Lady Bella, when she was talking to you. She was going to ask you to ... sell me to her."
I actually take the breath I didn't realize I was holding. Much more relaxed I reply.
"Don't worry about it, I'm not going to sell you to anyone."
"Oh" he simply replies, looking downcast.
"Are you Ok?" I ask baffled, I did not expect him to jump of joy, but that lack of enthusiasm.
"Yes master." Unconvincingly.
"But...obviously there is more."
"Aria said that Lady Bella always gets what she wants. Do you think that she can change your mind and get me in the end?"
"Ahh, that is what you are afraid of." Once again I relax, why talking with this kid is always such a roller coast on my emotions. "Don't worry about it. No one will touch you. You are going to stay with me and that is all. Lady Bella nor nobody else will dare do anything to take you away from me."
"But what if... maybe it would be better, you know, if you sell me." The last part barely audible, he fixes a spot on the floor refusing to look elsewhere.
"I don't understand, you want Lady Bella to buy you? You want to serve her?"
He stays silent fixating whatever fascinating dirt speck he sees on the road. A knot in my throat I manage to add.
"I thought you liked living at the Masseria." I feel like I am doing a last desperate attempt at a lost situation. As it stands, if he would have just plunged a knife in my heart I would actually feel better. Finally, he answers.
"I like living at the Masseria. But, if she buys me, I would live with them. Aria says Lady Bella is kind and will take care of me."
How could I be so stupid. This has nothing to do with me or Lady Bella, this is about Aria. Jealousy consumes me instantly. Aria my butt. All he would give Aria is his cock. Bella has no interest in him except for his ability to impregnate her wench. After all he lived through, he is so fragile I cannot possibly tell him any of it. Angry I reply,
"Francesco, there is going to be no selling you to Lady Bella, so take it out of your mind. Besides, even if I wanted to sell you, you belong to the Italian Police they bought you." I just finish that sentence that I instantly regret it. Damn am I a spiteful kid or an adult, once again this thing was a big mistake, I should have just thrown that picture of the young man with the wide open chest in the garbage a year ago and forget about it. I take a deep breath. More calmly, I add
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. She's not interested in you that way, that's not what she asked me. Please, let's talk about it at the Masseria." By the time I finish I sound more like I am imploring him to drop it then actually making a statement. "Ok?" Now I really sound like a kid asking for his parent approval.
Thankfully the right respond comes from him.
"Yes master." He replies subdued. For now I will take it.
Phone rings, I look at the display, De Laurentis. Something is happening.
"Inspector, what's going on?"
"Are you at the hotel?" He sounds alarmed, not the right tone this moment, I am on edge already. I look, hotel is not far.
"No, but it's not far. Why?"
"They are onto you. I stayed behind to check out the ins and outs. There is a group already on their way. You have to run."
"Sure," I look around me, suddenly aware of the massive confusion, anyone could be with our assailants, "Ok, we will go somewhere."
"Ok, when you hang up, loose the phone, they can track it down."
"Damn these guys, they never stop surprising me at the resources they have. Ok, no problem."
"By the way. Your phone is not the only thing they can track down." He adds despaired.
I look at Francesco, he is staring back at me uncomprehending. They can track him down as well.
"Don't worry about it, I'll take care of it"
"What, how?"
"Don't worry about it, it will be Ok."
"Alright, I'll leave it up to you. In any case, you should try to reach back Europe, preferably Italy. It will be easier to protect you. If I can I'll reach you on the way I have your itinerary."
"Understood, good bye."
"Good luck."
I hang up.
"We have to go back to the hotel, immediately."
I tell Francesco as I turn toward the hotel rushing back, him following close behind.
"What happened master?" He asks from behind.
"After." I reply back at him not slowing my stride. As I reach the hotel I throw the phone at the back of a tuck tuck passing by. That should confuse them for awhile, I hope.
As I open the door to our room I tell him.
"Pack what you can in a backpack we are leaving now!"
"What's going on?" He asks again alarmed.
"They found us out. We have to run!" I urge him as I dash for the suitcase. He just sits on the edge of the bed unmoving.
"Francesco, did you hear me? We have to run that is the complete opposite of standing still."
"You go master. I will stay here."
"What? Are you nuts all of a sudden?"
"They can track me, even stop me whenever they want. You go, I might as well be in their hands already"
"Nonsense," I reply as as I reach in my bag and retrieve what seems a shiny t-shirt, something that looks straight out of the 80's.
"Remove your shirt and put this on."
He looks at the t-shirt, then back at me. I explain.
"It is made of silver threads. It will hide your signal and they won't be able to track you."
Immediately, he starts unbuttoning his shirt.
"You did this? You had this all along?"
I know what he must be thinking. If I could do such a thing why wait until now? At least his face is hidden by his hands stretched above his head as he is putting on the t-shirt, that way I don't have to witness the anger and disappointment he must be showing right now.
"I was not trying to hide it from you. Is just that..."
"Thank you," he replies, "made of silver must have costed a fortune. You really do care for me."
But his answer is lost to me. All I can notice right now is how the outstretched arms extend his torso stretching those perfect abs and pecs. The stretched nipples just seem to jump at me from the white skin. My groin instantly responds on its own, my pants feel tighter. I try to divert my attention as I log on the control pad simply adding.
"Don't mention it."
As I look back at the boy, the fabric falls over his body hiding the object of my lust. A beep from the pad draws my attention away from the boy. On the machine I clearly see the message Signal Lost. I look back at him. The light shear fabric falls loosely on the wide chest and muscles underneath highlighting rather then concealing the curves of the wide chest and slim waist. God I am really smitten like a teenage girl, ridiculous! I involuntarily lick lips before I add.
"Great, it works. Now let's go!" As I frantically reach for more items to pack in my backpack.