The Fall

"Francesco, what are you doing? Be careful with that comb!"
The master yells at my back as I try to reach the higher branches of the Olive tree we are harvesting. The long stick is hard to manage especially with the vibrating comb at the end that shakes the branches so that the olives fall. I am on the tip of my feet, my arms stretched above my head, while I try to fit the comb on the tall branch right above me.
"Francesco, no. Not directly over your head, how many times I have to tell you that that is dangerous."
Master worries too much sometime. I know what I am doing, I have done it many times before. I mean he may be my master, but he could trust me. It seems that for him I am either a fragile thing that can break at any time, or a forbidden fruit to keep as far as he possibly can. Sometimes I feel like he hates me. Still it would not be polite not to answer so I reply.
"But Master, how can I reach the higher branches otherwise."
I say as I stretch even more on the tip of my feet, further stretching my arms above my head trying to reach the top branches of the century old olive tree.
"This is hard work." I say while panting. "Who could ever imagine making olive oil was so hard. Come on, you stupid machine get in there." I say to myself as I try to fit the comb around the branch. One that I can hardly see from the angle I am working at.
"Francesco! No, watch out!" Master sounds actually afraid as I hear a loud cracking above, following by a massive force pushing me away and falling flat on the hard ground a couple of meters away. I shake my head to remove the dizziness. Except for a slight pain on my chest that I know will bruise and the copper taste of blood in my mouth I am Ok. I turn around and I see Master on the ground, face down, with a heavy log across his back.
"Master," I yell, "Master," I get up as pain shoots in my chest where I must have hit a rock on the ground. I get next to the master. With some effort I am able to move the branch off him.
"Ohh God, please no! What am I going to do?" I pray to the sky. Then I try to turn the master gently on his back, just as I realize that I just screwed up. What if his spine was hurt or even worst broken? Maybe I made him a paraplegic.
"Ohh God please help me." I say as I notice that his cellular slipped out of his pocket. I pick it up and dial the emergency number.
"Pronto? " A lady answers on the line, "Polizia, come posso aiutarla?"
"Hello, Mast... I mean Mr. Romano Joe, just fell a tree on him. He is unconscious. Send help please." I am actually in tears. What am I going to do without master?
"Calm down, please. Everything will be alright. Can you tell me where are you?"
"I am in the field, with the olive trees. Mas... I ... Mr Romano pushed me but the tree fell on him."
"Ok, are you hurt?"
"Yes, I mean no not as him, he is unconscious. Please send someone to help."
"Can you be more specific? Did he hurt you?"
"No, I told you he pushed me away from the falling tree. He saved me and now he is hurt."
"Where are you?"
"I told you already."
"There are kilometers of olive trees around. Can you please be more specific?"
"We are near Ostuni. In Mr. Romano's Masseria."
"Ok we have a fix on you now. We have dispatched help. Can you tell me your name?" Her voice is calm.
"Francesco"
"Francesco, great. Can you move Francesco?"
"Yes"
"Good. Does Mr. Romano breathe?"
"I don't know. He is unconscious."
"Ok, no problem, I will guide you on what to do. Ok?"
"Ok."
"First loosen his clothes on the neck and chest. Tell me when it's done."
I reach for his jacket. I hesitate. Would it be proper for me to do that to him? What would he think if he wakes up? I shiver while I reach for the zipper and slowly pull the clasp down. Then I reach for the shirt and unbutton it, revealing his chest with its trimmed hair. I stare at his face, he seems peaceful. Just looking at him calms me down somewhat. I pick the phone up again.
"It is done."
"Good, now place your face next to his nose and mouth and check if you feel air coming from him while putting your hand on his chest to make sure it moves up and down."
"Ok I will do it."
I approach his face slowly. I remember a few weeks ago when he moved close to me on the beach. I put my hand on the side of his neck. I touch him gently, the way he touch me, then slowly slide it toward his sternum. Somehow I am aware of the roughness of the unshaved beard slowly replaced by the softer and longer chest hairs. I am mesmerized by his face and closed eyes. I approach closer, my lips almost touching his. My lips feel dry, I have butterflies in my stomach. Why am I feeling this way? I should not be affected this way. I wet my lips, then I feel it. A light breeze cools my lips. I am not sure if it is master or the wind. But then my hand rises slightly, then falls.
He is breathing. He is breathing! Tears of joy start pouring down. Somehow I realize that even if I was reacting, I feared the worst. Now at least I know he is alive. Leaving the hand on his chest to make sure it keeps moving up and down, I pick the phone with the other and yell into it excitedly.
"He is breathing! He is breathing!"
"I am glad." She responds coolly. "Now we should check for his heart beat. Do you know how to check for that?"
"I put my ear on his chest and listen for his heart?"
"Actually no. But, just do it that way. It will be enough for now."
"Ok," I answer immediately as I reach down on his bare chest with the side of my face. Sure enough I hear it. It is faint, it is slow, especially if I compare it with mine that is racing like a Formula 1 car, but it is there. I keep my face there, longer then necessary, I feel comforted and safe touching him. Eventually I realize that the voice in the phone is trying to speak to me.
"Sir? Francesco? Are you there? Did you check for his heart rate? Francesco can you hear me?"
"Yes," I pick the phone and bring it to my hear, not changing my position."I hear his heart beat."
"Nice. You will see, everything will be alright now."
She keeps on talking to me and I answer, but I refuse to move my head. Somehow I am afraid that if I move his heart may stop or I would loose the comforting presence I feel right now. When the ambulance and police finally arrive, they find us by following the noise of the tractor. Master on his back while I am crouched by his side with my head on his chest while talking to the emergency operator on the phone.
The minute they arrive, they push me gently away as they take care of master. The police officer interrogates me on what happened. A few minutes later, they are ready to take master away.
"Good, we are ready to go to the hospital" one of the medics addresses me, "you have a lot of cuts and scrapes from your fall. You could use some cares as well.You should come with us to the hospital."
I am about to answer yes, when I realize that I am not sure what limits master has placed on my movements. Can I even leave the property? We have gone to town, the beach, even other towns around. I have never noticed him picking the pad to change settings, but he may have done that. He keeps the pad in his bedroom and I don't go there. I cannot risk going with them and finding myself outside the limits while speeding to the hospital, the shocks would never end.
"No, no I am fine." I answer, "besides, I have to lock down the place, store the machinery. No I am fine, take him."
"Ok we will, but you better look after your cuts and scrapes, they could get infected."
"Yes I will, now go, please!" I implore them, master really needs attention right now.
The police officer that took my statements asks me,
"If you want, I can wait for you and take you to the hospital?"
"No," I reply a bit too eager, "that will not be necessary. I am fine, really."
Taken back the officer replies, "ok then, just make sure you look after yourself Francesco, ok?"
"Yes I will."
I am left alone.
I start packing the tools and place them on the tractor. The olives we picked today will stay here for now.