Chasing a ghost

"Ok thank you." Inspector DeLaurentis adds politely on the phone as he hangs up, followed by a loud.
"Damn it!" People around the office look at him. "Two days and no traces yet."
Giovanni approaches and sits in a chair across from him.
"Frustrated?" He addresses the older officer, a clear hint of sarcasm.
"That's putting it lightly. I just finished my conversation with Athen's airport. The plane has landed there a few times but nobody fitting the description of our suspects was noticed coming or leaving the plane. The Emirates?"
Giovanni simply shakes his head no.

DeLaurentis massages his temples with both hands. Usually he keeps his head shaved. Since he came back from Bangkok he has been so worried about the two missing and dedicating every wake moment to their search that he has even forgotten to shave. The rough stubble under his hands a reminder that he should shave tonight no matter what. He looks toward his interlocutor. Young face, brown averted eyes, glasses, wavy brown hairs, he appreciates his attitude and the fact that he wants to learn. He promises to be a great inspector one day.

"Ok!" Resolutely DeLaurenties carries on, "Let's recapitulate what we know. Maybe there is something we are missing." The younger officer sit straighter becoming more alert.
"Let's start with the plane. It is registered to a charter company that operates out of the United Arab Emirates. They politely sent us to hell. They will not disclose any information about their clients unless we have a warrant."
"Which their government will not give us." Continues Giovanni. "They were even much less polite then the charter company when they sent me to hell."

"That venue is pretty much closed shut as we know exactly the plane and who it belongs to, but the information is useless. From past flight plans of the plane, we have followed which routes it has taken. Some airports have confirmed the presence of both Stenski and Albert, who seem to fly a lot, yet randomly."
"That's when we decided to see which airports the plane visited more often, thinking that one of them would be their base of operation." Giovanni looks at some dots on the map as he continues. "We have Cairo, where they stopped after abducting Mr Romano and Francesco, Tripoli, Tunis, Casablanca, Seville, Barcelona, Athens and Nicosia in Crete."

"Yet, none of these report to have seen our suspects except on a few occasions. Maybe they stop there to refuel?" Asks the older inspector.
"With a range of over 12000km, I find that unlikely. These guys are smart and think globally. We have to look at the bigger picture." The young officer scratches his head before continuing, then almost to himself he adds. "Travel is not about the destination but the journey."
"Are you quoting some travel brochure..." De Laurentis asks irritated, "wait a minute you may be on to something, pass me those flight plans again."

They both look at the lists as DeLaurentis adds,
"Look it is not the cities that appear often, but the trips. They fly Cairo Barcelona, back and forth; Casablanca Athens also appears, Zagreb Tripoli."
"Nicosia Seville," Giovanni carries on, "Alexandria Tunis. Let's plot them on the map and see what happens."

"Look," carries Giovanni, "They all cross on the southern coast of Sicily

"Look," carries Giovanni, "They all cross on the southern coast of Sicily. Where could they possibly land in that area?"
"The obvious would be Catania in Sicily, Valletta in Malta. Let's get on the phone."

# # # # # #

In the picture is Giovanni, the young inspector. If you wonder who this picture belongs to, his real name is Pietro Boselli. He is actually a teacher and mathematician. None of my teachers ever looked like that. Anyway, what do you think? Is the story going somewhere? A few more chapters and it will be over, one way or the other. Either the police will find them, or Joe becomes Vladimir's personal manservant and Francesco will join Pussy. Hope you enjoyed this small chapter.