Truly, Madly, Deeply

Last chapter! Enjoy it loves. xx

-Zayn’s Point of View-

After a long trip to court, the police tell me what I already know.

That I didn’t do it.

“Sorry Mr. Malik, it was all a big misunderstanding. You’re free to go.”

Are you fucking kidding me? There are so many other valid reasons they could’ve put me in jail for, yet they pin me for something I’m completely innocent of. I’m boiling inside. I want to punch every single officer in the face but I’m too exhausted from lack of sleep to let these motherfuckers know how I really feel about them.

A timid mousy female police officer hands me a manila envelope filled with my wallet and cellphone.

I turn my phone and try to call Harry but it goes straight to voicemail each time. I call Niall but the voice that answers isn’t his.

“It’s Liam. Niall’s asleep but I answered ‘cause I saw the number.”

“Oh…Do you have any clue where Harry is?”

“Sorry but no. He’s been gone with Louis since yesterday. My best guess is they’re at your flat.”

Shit.

“Is something wrong?” Liam asks.

“Well…er….they’re releasing me as we speak and-“

“You need me to pick you up?”

“Yeah, I don’t mean to put you through any trouble.”

“It’s alright. It’ll be a nice little surprise for Niall when he wakes up.” Liam says cheerily.

Hm. That Liam sure is a thoughtful bloke.

They give me back the clothes that I wore when they took me in. I was shirtless since I took my plaid shirt and t-shirt off to staunch Niall’s blood flow. I end up opting to wear the sweats and navy blue t-shirt they offer me. The jeans I came with are so caked with brownish dried blood that could only belong to one person. I shudder and throw them in the trash bin. I slip on my Nikes and I’m released back into the world.

I sit on the curb and smoke a cigarette courtesy of another lad who’s been released from jail also.

Niall floods my brain as I inhale the smoke.

I can see him smiling and tossing his head back in laughter.

Then I remember the last time Niall came to see me. I made him cry. I wish I could take the words back that hurt him. Was it the marriage thing?

Before I could contemplate it further, I hear double honks from Liam’s car.

I jump in half expecting to see Niall but he isn’t here.

“Do you wanna stop by your flat or would you like to go straight to our flat?”

“Yeah, I just want to go straight to Niall….Has he said anything?”

“About what?”

“About um…marriage?”

Liam chews on his lower lip and I can tell he knows something. He’s just thinking whether he should tell me or not.  

“Niall might’ve confided in me about something of that sort.”

“Is he angry with me?”

“No…He’s just a bit hurt.”

Again, it’s that feeling of pain spreading in my chest like electricity.

“Hurt?”

“It’s kind of his goal in life. Fall in love, get married, have kids and own a house. You know?”