chapter three

Gresit had been horrible.

You arrived with the other Cordii Speakers and the town was truly a mess. Bodies and blood littered the streets as they been torn apart by the hellish monsters that came during the night. Entrails were wrapped like ribbons and heads had been stabbed and put on sticks for show.

You were the busiest you had ever been in your whole life. Helping wounded during the day and fighting monsters as well as protecting the speakers during the night. In the beginning Sypha helped you, using low level magic that only the speakers and you knew that she was using. You were using your own magic here and there, of course without Sypha noticing. You weren't ready to disclose those secrets about your self.

After seeing all the despair, the speakers after awhile started talking about the tale of the sleeping solider. You had no idea what it was about, you had only recognized the term from your conversations with the townspeople.

Sypha only vaguely told you about the tale, how this man was sleeping under the city and had to be awaken in order to help stop the wrath being set on humanity. She decided that on her own, she would go looking for the solider to save this city. You offered to go with her into the catacombs because you knew it would be dangerous on her own. She refused, said that she could take care of herself and that the people really needed you up here. You didn't really argue because she was right, the people did need you and Sypha was a badass all on her own. So you let your new friend go on her own.

That was two days ago.

You were panicking. What if your Sypha was dead? You were talking to the Elder about it, trying to convince him to let you go after the first day, since the trip should have only been a couple of hours. He basically said to leave her be, that there was no use losing two people down in the catacombs. He also mentioned that he believed someone else was coming very soon to their aid.

You had absolutely no idea what he meant, but speakers are known for their wisdom, so you trusted him. Who are you to question him?

"I'm back, does anyone else need help for any cut or anything bandaged? Or is anyone feeling bad at all?" You ask as you walked into the speaker's lodging. You knew they were known for being a nomadic tribe, but they have been stationed in this lodging for awhile.

"No we're fine, just worried," One of the speakers spoke out. You looked at him with a confused look.

"Why?"

"Well the town is beginning to dislike our presence here, and the Elder has been out all day. Do you think he is in trouble?"

"I don't know, but I'll go look for him," You said. You put down the rest of your supplies, but pulled out your twin daggers and attached them to your waist and hid them under your cloak.

You quickly exited the lodging and started to walk around the town. You cringed at every pool of blood you, sad that you couldn't do anything to help them.

"Will killing an old man make you less scared of the dark?" You heard up ahead. That was definitely the Elder's voice. Was someone about to kill him? You ran trying to catch up before anything could happen.

"I don't know. Maybe it will just make me feel better," Ah shit, you weren't going to make it! You're legs were burning because of how hard you were pushing them to run faster. The sound of a whip rang through the air, and fear started to radiate throughout your whole body. Why the hell couldn't you protect the people you promised to protect?

You turned the corner expecting to see the Elder dead but instead saw see a peculiar scene before you. A man, who seemed to be the priest, was on his knees groaning and holding his hand. 'Is he missing a finger,' you thought but quickly dismissed. The Elder seemed to be fine, but their were two other men there who you didn't know if they were friend or foe.

"Oh, hell. I'm sorry. I was trying to snatch the stave out of your hand. How's your finger?" The man said. He was holding a whip in his hand and he didn't seem to notice you.

"What fucking finger!?" The man on the ground said.

"That's no way for a man of the cloth to talk. Why don't you go and get that looked at?"

"Kill the bastard!" And with that, you pulled out both of your daggers and walked to the Elders side. When you moved, the man with the whip finally seemed to take notice of you.

"I'm here to protect you if need be, but it doesn't look like I have to," You said with a chuckle.

"Indeed," the Elder responded with a smile.