012

Jaemin didn't even look up as he heard the door open again and Jeno fly through it. He didn't even care at this point. His mind was buzzing way too much to worry about the officer and what he had come to say, much less how pathetic he currently looked.

Jeno absentmindedly took a seat in front of the younger, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, don't cry, please."

How stupid, Jaemin thought. How could he think saying that was just going to make everything better? He removed his face from his hands to glare at the older, who was awkwardly sitting there with no clue what to do.

"If you come in here to bitch at me again, just leave," Jaemin sniffed, still choking back sobs begging to be let out. Even if the agonizing noises had mostly stopped, tears still flowed like waterfalls out of his deep brown eyes.

"I didn't...look, I'm sorry, okay?"

"You wouldn't apologize if I wasn't crying--same goes for last night."

"You're right," the older sighed, "and that's really shitty of me. I just don't want you to cry anymore."

"I'm sorry too. I'm so overdramatic," the brunette laughed humorlessly, wiping away the few tears still rolling down his cheeks.

"You're a teenager with raging hormones, it's okay," Jeno chuckled softly, trying to bring some light to the situation. The tense atmosphere was nearly crushing him, and he wanted nothing more than to appease his conscience so he could get the hell out of there already.

"Guess that explains these," the teen said, letting out the smallest of smiles as he motioned to the purple marks contrasting with his light skin.

Jeno's insides heated up once again as his attention was brought back to the marks that basically started this whole thing in the first place.

Clearing his throat, Jeno got up from the bed, choosing to for once bite his tongue and not make things worse. "I have to go back to work."

"You know my birthday is next week, right?" Jaemin called before the older could reach the door.

"Yeah, I know."

"You know I'm going to come see you, right?"

"Yeah, I know."

"Great, I'll see you later."

Instead of replying, the officer closed the bedroom door behind him. There was the Jaemin he missed—and the parting phrase he'd never admit that he loved.

🔴🔵

August 13th came rather quickly. Jeno was sat at his desk, eyes fixated on his computer screen as his heart pounded like a hammer in his chest. His shift was almost over, and Jaemin still hadn't come to visit. As much as he tried to cover it up with sheets of denial, he knew his heart was pounding out of fear that he had been ditched by the Na Jaemin.

Just as he was shutting off his computer, the door opened and relief involuntarily rushed through his veins. He knew exactly who it was, and if he didn't the saccharine voice following it would've given it all away.

"I'm eighteen bitches!" The brunette boy announced much too loud, causing glares to be thrown his way. He was swinging a set of keys on his pointer finger, the annoying jingle accompanying his voice in the worst kind of way.

"Hush, people are trying to work," Jeno snapped, but there was a lot less sonority to his voice than he thought there would be. "What's that?" he added after clearing his throat, nodding his head towards the keychain still swirling on the younger's finger.

"Oh, nothing, just my birthday present," the teen giggled in response.

"Can you even drive?" The officer inquired, mockingly cocking an eyebrow.

Jaemin threw his free hand over his chest in mock offense. "Yes I can, thank you very much."

Jeno mumbled a drawled out 'okay' before getting his own keys from the top drawer of his desk.

"Oh you won't be needing those," the younger smirked, thriving off the confused expression etched into Jeno's features.

"And why not?"

"Because you're coming with me and going to my birthday party, duh," Jaemin responded like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"I don't think so," the officer shook his head, walking past the chocolate-haired boy to get to the door.

"You say that like you have a choice," the younger mused, catching up with Jeno with only a couple of strides.

"You say that like you control me."

"Fine, let's just go do something then."

"Still a no."

"You've run out of excuses not to!"

"They're not excuses, I just don't want to hang out with you," Jeno replied nonchalantly, opening the door to his car.

Jaemin put on his best hurt countenance. If there was any way to get under the older's skin, this was it. "Can't you just give me a chance?"

Jeno glanced over to the teen, who had sunken shoulders and glossy eyes. As much as he wanted to break, he knew he had to stay strong. "No, and I'm never going to," the officer replied coldly before getting in his car before Jaemin got another sentence in.

🔴🔵

To be frank, Jeno felt like shit. This time, he didn't even try to deny that it was over how he treated Jaemin the previous night. Normally, he would've rationalized it as saying it for the younger's own good, but it just seemed so wrong to be such an ass on Jaemin's birthday. Having the whole day to himself didn't help much, seeing as he had hours upon hours to wallow on his wrongdoings. Maybe if he kept his big mouth shut, he could have peace for once, but his lack of self-control always seemed to squander that possibility.

Running a frustrated hand through his black hair, he flopped down onto his bed. No fucking way he was going back to Jaemin's house to apologize. Each time he left feeling more confused than when he arrived, and this time would be no different.

Still, he felt bad. Quite bad if we're being honest. However, it was impossible to tell if Jaemin was actually offended or if he was just being the manipulative little brat he was.

What he didn't expect in the midst of his mental struggle was a rapid knock on the door. With a groan, he forced himself out of bed and trudged to the door, figuring it was just a solicitor or something of the sort.

He whipped open the door without a second thought, not even minding his casual clothing and messy hair. As soon as he opened the door, though, he damn near shit himself. It was like the gods had been reading his mind and had magically summoned the demon he wished would just leave him alone already.

"What are you doing here?" Jeno practically screeched, having to hold himself back from slamming the door.

"Allowing you to apologize for being mean to me yesterday," the brunette shrugged, waiting patiently for the taller male to let him inside.

"How do you even know where I live?" the older spluttered in response. Hopefully, this was just a dream and Na Jaemin wasn't standing at his door. Of course, it was not.

"I'm telling you, you can find anything if you look hard enough."

"You seriously terrify me."

"Good, now let me in!"

——————————

there is many ways i expected this story to go and this is not it