030

"Officer Lee, Officer Wong, do you copy?"

"Yeah, what is it?" Jeno answered into his radio.

"There's been an attempted robbery. An eighteen-year-old has been shot. I'm sending you the address right now."

The address of a nearby convenience store flashed across the GPS as Yukhei flipped the lights and sirens on. The adrenaline was pumping through them both already as they sped down the streets of Seoul, mentally preparing themselves for anything they may have to deal with. Of course, there would be backup close behind them, but it was a huge responsibility to be the first officers on the scene. If the culprit was still anywhere near the crime scene, it was up to them to catch them instead of having others go through the process of tracking them down.

It didn't appear they would be doing any hunting right now, though, seeing as the ambulance was already there. Jeno and Yukhei silently got out of their cruiser and jogged for the doors of the small shop. They could see a few EMTs in one of the aisles leaned over what they assumed was the victim.

The officers had planned on immediately speaking to the store employee—who was currently standing wide-eyed watching the paramedics do their jobs—but all of that flew out the window the minute Jeno glanced towards the chaos surrounding the victim.

Jaemin was off to the side being held by an EMT sobbing uncontrollably and babbling unintelligible sentences. Jeno's heart stopped the minute he spotted the vibrant hair in the corner of the shop. He had never been so utterly thankful in his life. That seemed cruel to think, considering there was a person with a gunshot wound lying on the ground, but the only emotion processing right now was thankfulness. Jaemin was safe. Shaken up, but safe.

Without hesitation, Jeno rushed over to the young boy, wishing nothing more than to hold him. Jaemin could've been gone, but he was here. The officer was hyperaware that it could've easily been the boy he was in love with lying on the ground right now, but it wasn't.

"Jeno," the pink-haired male—who had seen Jeno coming—sobbed, automatically leaving the company of the paramedic to embrace Jeno.

"Shh, it's alright. Everything is going to be fine," the officer consoled, squeezing Jaemin extra hard as he ran his fingers through his pink hair.

Any bit of comfort that would've provided the younger was a total waste, as not long after that, Donghyuck was lifted onto a stretcher and the paramedics began wheeling him out of the store. Jaemin was hot on their heels, desperate to see if his best friend was going to be okay. He was only stopped when he tried to board the ambulance with them.

"I'm sorry, but you're not allowed in here unless you're family," one of the paramedics informed sympathetically, shutting the doors to the vehicle shortly after.

"Here, you two go," Yukhei said, gently placing the keys to their cruiser into Jeno's hands.

The black-haired officer didn't ask any questions, immediately running over to a defeated Jaemin. "Come on, we'll follow them."

The younger obliged, following Jeno to the cop car and silently climbing into the passenger's seat. His tears wouldn't stop streaming down his face as he thought of his best friend, who was currently in the back of an ambulance because he just had to suggest they go out tonight. They could've done so many other things—watch a movie, do drugs, maybe just sit and talk to each other if they were feeling extra sentimental—but no, they went out and decided they wanted a goddamn pretzel.

"He's going to be alright," Jeno consoled as he sensed Jaemin's mental battle, even though he wasn't so sure that was true. Donghyuck wasn't dead, so there was always hope, but that also meant that things could take a turn for the worse. Still, he tried to be optimistic, for both their sake. Unconsciously, he reached over and took Jaemin's hand in his own. At any other time, he would've been a blushing mess, but now was nowhere near the time to romanticize anything. He was simply acting as a source of comfort, both for himself and Jaemin. It was nice to hold the warm hand, especially knowing how close it had come to being taken away.

"You don't know that," the bubblegum-haired boy sniffled, "It's my fucking fault this happened to him."

The officer squeezed the hand within his hold, "It is not your fault—it's that bastard's fault. I know Donghyuck feels the same way. Don't beat yourself up over something that was totally out of your control."

"I was the one that dragged him out of the house. I could've done so many more things with him—hell I could've even done coke with him and avoided this—but I made him come out with me," he took a painful pause, one filled a swirl of emotions, before croaking out, "It should've fucking been me."

"Don't you dare say that," Jeno snapped automatically. "It shouldn't have been either of you."

"Jeno, I'm the one that wants to fucking die! I couldn't give a shit what happens to me, but Donghyuck is different. He has people that would do anything for him...people that love him so much it hurts. Why'd it had to be him? The one who has so much to live for, and not the dead-end addict," he ranted, tears coming in a steady stream down his face. This was the first time he had ever openly admitted that he wanted to die to someone, and it hit him like a brick. The thought had just been one at the back of his mind, not one he'd spill in the middle of a dire situation.

Hearing those words coming from the boy he loved made Jeno want to break down and cry. Of course, he always had his speculations about what was going on in Jaemin's head, but being hit with those words was a whole new pain. "So many people love you more than you could ever know. I would've been nothing short of devastated if it had been you. You're so much more amazing than you could think you are. This shouldn't have happened to either of you, and the only person to blame is the son-of-a-bitch that's going to pay for what he did. "

Jaemin stayed silent. Not that he had much of a choice, though, as anything he said would surely get hung in his throat due to excessive crying and a whirlwind of emotions. Instead, he held Jeno's hand in between both of his as if his very being depended on the officer's touch.

A stray tear rolled down Jeno's cheek as he relished in the feeling of having Jaemin next to him and not in the morgue. They were both blessed to be where they were right now, whether one of them chose to believe that or not.

—————————

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR 12K READS!!!! I LOVE YOU ALL MORE THAN ANYTHING

AS A GIFT I PRESENT YOU WITH 90S HEARTTHROB JANGJUN