067

The couple continued strolling around the carnival hand in hand. They had ridden several more rides—a few more than they were proud to admit being for children—and Jeno had managed to score Jaemin a very small stuffed animal, but it was the thought that counts.

"I think I want a pretzel," the blue-haired boy announced out of the blue as the smell wafted over to his nose. They were nearing the area where all the vendors were set up—a huge mistake for anyone trying to keep their calorie count low. Thankfully, Jaemin was not one of those people.

"Okay, let's go," the older grinned, leading them both in the direction of the delicious smell overpowering all the other ones.

Jaemin was glad he had such a lovely boyfriend. Even though some of the things he did were bare minimum—such as taking him to get a snack—but they still made his heart flutter. Jeno was an angel come down to earth, dutied with the task of making Jaemin the happiest he had ever been, and anyone would agree he's doing a damn good job.

"Jeno," the teen called as they stood in line all huddled together since it was still a tad cold at night. "I love you," he cooed sweetly after the other male hummed.

"I love you too," Jeno chuckled, pressing a soft kiss to his boyfriend's hair. His heart drummed significantly every time they said those words, even if they had said it upwards of a million times throughout their relationship.

"Don't be a pussy," the younger teased, puckering his lips out dramatically and making annoying kissing noises.

The officer rolled his eyes, but he had zero intentions of denying the request. I mean, who would? This is Na Jaemin we're talking about—aka the most adorable boy ever. Still, he wanted to play hard to get for a minute, simply for his enjoyment. "No," he scoffed playfully, turning his head away and acting like he was studying the other people passing by.

"Jeno~" Jaemin whined, stamping his feet a little. When the older still kept his attention elsewhere, he repeated the actions. Still nothing. So, he resorted to pesteringly calling Jeno's name over and over while practically jumping up and down.

Finally, Jeno turned to him and connected their lips when Jaemin stopped acting like a little kid. "There, now shut up," he commanded jokingly.

"Yes dad—"

"Don't you dare finish that."

The blue-haired boy giggled and returned to his previous peaceful state, latched onto his boyfriend's muscular arm.

They were almost to the front of the line when a cloud of smoke appeared in his peripheral. Instinctively, he turned his attention towards it, eyes narrowing towards a group of boys laughing heartily at a picnic table.

He almost turned away, after all, it was almost too dark and too distant to see their faces, but a head of vibrant purple hair caught his attention. He could pick that hair out from anywhere, and how could he not? That hair belonged to Donghyuck, his best friend for several years.

He tensed up as he saw Mark, who was the one originally possessing the device from which the smoke came, pass it over to someone else.

He wasn't fucking stupid; hell, he and Donghyuck used to do lines of coke off of random people's tables together. There was no way what was in that vape was just vape juice.

And he also knew that the fact that the cartridge certainly held something slightly less elementary than vape juice was the sole reason that they were all sitting there...without him. They hadn't invited him, or even mentioned a carnival, for that matter. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it was because they planned on being quirky and getting high, and they didn't want the recovering addict to be around when they did.

"What's wrong?" Jeno asked as he felt the younger go stoic by his side. Clearly, after the wonderful night they've had, that wasn't a good sign. He had been through this rodeo one too many times not to know when something was off.

"Let's go," the teen snapped, but it was easy to see that the anger was only a front to mask how offended he was. He was just starting to get back in the swing of things and trying to connect with someone other than Jeno, but they just stomped all over his efforts—and although it wasn't their intention for Jaemin to see them, it was their intention to leave him out, and that was just as bad in the boy's book.

He stormed off in a random direction, letting go of Jeno's hand in case the male tried to pull him back. He could hear his boyfriend's rushed steps behind him, but he didn't bother to give him a chance to catch up. The only goal in mind was to get the fuck away from his friends.

"Goddammit, Jaemin, wait!" Jeno finally hollered, tired of running after Jaemin like a wild goose chase for a reason he wasn't even aware of.

The younger boy spun around angrily to glare at his boyfriend, even though the latter had done nothing wrong. It was his friends who upset him, it was him who stormed off, and here he was being a dick to Jeno, who was just trying to grasp how they went from kissing in line to speedwalking deeper into the park within mere moments.

"What happened?" Jeno asked, ignoring the icy look he received. Although it made him slightly angry he was receiving the heat for something he wasn't even aware of, he was more concerned about what the hell had happened. His feelings could wait, right now he was worried about understanding Jaemin's.

"My friends is what happened," Jaemin spat, blinking back tears as he felt his throat burn at the thought of his friends sitting at their table laughing their asses off, while he was here trying not to have a breakdown in the middle of a carnival.

"How?" the officer questioned, not understanding how that could possibly be the case when it was a night just for them, as far as he knew.

The teen motioned to a distant table that he could sadly still see near perfectly from where he was standing. "They're over there hanging out having the time of their life, and they didn't even bother to invite me."

Jeno felt a harsh pang at his heart. Was his company not enough? Yeah, it hurt like hell for your friends to exclude you, but he had assumed his company would overpower that. "Oh," was all he said, trying to configure the right words to continue.

Before he could do so, Jaemin cut him off. "Let's just go," he proposed tearfully, reaching a hand up to harshly wipe away the few tears that managed to slip out.

"Yeah, okay," the officer agreed quietly, not even bothering to try and interlock their hands once again as they exited the carnival.

It seemed their fun night had come to an end as soon as it even started. It was starting to become like clockwork—their contentment crashing roughly around them at the slightest of inconveniences.

Jeno hated himself for even thinking the words: this is getting tiring.

————————

attention carats!!!

i just published a new jihan story called 'heaven', so if you're interested, go check it out :) chapters two and three will be out within the next few days 😘