015

Jeno wanted to punch himself in the face. His mind constantly swirled with thoughts of the young brunette boy and his well-being, much to Jeno's demise. Perhaps when he told Jaemin he didn't care, that was an utter lie. Somewhere in between telling Jaemin to leave him alone and that he wasn't going to give in, he had formed some odd attachment. The constant images of seeing the brunette break down didn't help, as he worried if that had happened again in the month since he'd last seen him. School had also started again, leaving room for extra stress to be placed on Jaemin's shoulders. Having to drive past that school every day—where he was constantly reminded not only of their second meeting but of Jaemin's busted up face and pitiful look—certainly didn't help one bit.

On the other hand, maybe it was for the best that he finally cut the ties. Now he didn't have to worry about being tangled in the complicated life of a teenager just trying to find his place in the world. He was annoying, he was touchy, he was cocky, and most concerningly—he was in high school.

Still, he felt bad. Not bad enough to apologize, but not content enough with how things were left to be able to live with a clear conscience. How could he be so heartless?

Yukhei didn't help any. His constant teasing only kept Jeno's mind centered on the sole person he wished he could erase from his memory. The Chinese male had even been keeping count of how many days it had been since Jaemin had come to the station. Who even does that?

To say Jeno wanted to smack that mischevious grin right off of Yukhei's pretty face when Jaemin and that orange-haired boy were dragged into the station by an officer would be an understatement. That goofy expression was the least of his worries, though, as he knew exactly what question was coming.

"Jeno, can you take this one?"

He wanted to say no. Oh, how badly he wanted to say 'No, send him to Yukhei' or some other name that was not himself. As much as his entire soul screamed to say no, he couldn't. Jaemin was cocky as usual, but something seemed different. He wasn't fawning over Jeno like a lovesick schoolgirl, and that wasn't something the older was used to.

"Yeah, send him over."

And with that, Jaemin was directed to the uncomfortable plastic chair in front of Jeno's desk, where he silently took a seat. It was scary, how quiet the usually boisterous teenager was, but he was obviously biting back some snarky comment. He was slumped with his arms crossed, looking like he'd rather be anywhere than where he was.

"What'd you do?" Jeno asked rather monotonously. No way in hell he was going to let on that he had genuinely been worried, especially with Jaemin acting the way he was.

"Stealing alcohol," the brunette replied, sounding so bored it wouldn't be a surprise if he yawned straight after.

The older sighed and turned in his rolly chair to properly face Jaemin. "Why?"

"Are you dense? Why else?" he quipped in response, adding an eye roll at the end to emphasize his salty feelings.

"You don't have to be rude; I was just asking."

"You don't have the fucking right to ask."

Jeno scoffed, thoroughly fed up with the moodiness he was receiving right now. He began to regret all that time wasted fretting over the boy sitting in front of him right now. "Actually, I do. I'm a police officer, and if you don't fix your attitude you're going to be in deeper than you already are."

The younger rolled his eyes shockingly before casting them to the left side of the interior. "I thought we established I don't get in deep, Officer Lee, " he said airily.