022

"Hey, bitch," a certain pink-haired boy announced as he plopped into the plastic chair he had been in several times before.

"Watch your mouth," Jeno warned, hardly shifting his gaze from his desktop to greet the younger back.

"Okay, dad," the teen said with an eye roll.

Jeno finally turned to look at Jaemin, who was looking over at him with those gorgeous doe eyes anyone could drown in. "You know you came five minutes before my shift ends, right?"

"Yeah, that's like the whole point."

The officer obnoxiously lolled his eyes over to his desktop again before closing everything out and powering it off. He was just about to suggest the two leave when Chief Kim strode beside his desk.

"Working hard, I see," the Chief smiled, his eyes flickering to Jaemin for a split second.

"Yes, sir," Jeno replied quietly, hoping no further questions were asked so he could avoid getting in trouble for being social on the job, especially with someone of Jaemin's nature.

Luck was on his side as Chief Kim lightly clapped him on the back and went on his way, leaving the remaining officers to complete what needed to be done.

"Who would've thought you were a kiss-ass," Jaemin laughed as the older visibly relaxed once the Chief was on his way.

Jeno scoffed and looked away. "I am not."

"You so are!"

"Whatever!"

Jeno rose from his seat and made a beeline for the glass doors, Jaemin following not far behind with a hearty cackle. The officer's heart tingled at the sound. It felt like it had been ages since he heard that laugh, and it sent his body into overdrive. He couldn't do this. He couldn't be acting chummy with Jaemin, because this is where it always ended. His stomach always done somersaults and the urge to kiss the younger was unbearable. It didn't occur to him that those feelings were still there when Jaemin wasn't being goofy.

"Let's go somewhere," Jaemin suggested when he caught up to Jeno, who was standing absentmindedly on the sidewalk.

"I...I can't," the older replied hesitantly, avoiding eye contact with the teen.

"What's wrong?" the pink-headed boy asked, quite frankly dumbfounded. Just a couple of seconds ago, Jeno was acting perfectly normal, maybe even a little nicer than usual. Now he was distant and strange.

"I can't be getting close to you," Jeno blurted, finally turning to face the boy beside him. He nearly regretted it when he saw a sliver of hurt pass over Jaemin's face. "You helped me with my brother, and I appreciate that, but it doesn't change anything," he added before he turned to mush.

"You always say that," the younger responded level headedly—which was astonishing considering how rash and emotional he generally was.

"I know, but this time I mean it."

"Fine," Jaemin choked out, "If that's how it's going to be, you better fucking stick to your word. No more going in circles. If you shoot me down right now, I'm done."

"Jaemin—"

"Yes or no?"

"...Yes."

"Okay," the younger whispered before turning away and speed-walking to his car. His conscience was heavy and tears pricked his eyes, but he refused to let Jeno see him cry again. His heart felt as if it had been stabbed, but these days that was nothing new. Everything seemed like it was spiraling out of his grasp, and Jeno was just another example of something he couldn't control that drove him absolutely mad.

"Seems like you hurt his feelings pretty bad," Yukhei commented before Jeno could trudge away to his own car.

The ravenette gasped and turned to the other officer, who was leaned next to the door—obviously eavesdropping. "Why were you listening to us?" He snapped half-heartedly, not really having it in him to be a jerk right now. Every time he denied Jaemin, it seemed to drain all the energy he had out of him. That sullen face and glossy eyes just exhausted him in every possible way.

"Just wanted to see how things were going," the older shrugged, practically dismissing the fact he listened in on a private conversation. That wasn't the important subject at hand, anyway. "Why do you keep doing this to him?" He asked when he realized Jeno wasn't going to say anything else.

"Because I don't want a relationship with him in any way."

"Somehow, that doesn't seem true."

"Just leave it, Yukhei."

"What are you so afraid of? This kid obviously likes you, so why do you keep treating him like that?" the blonde pressed further, ignoring Jeno's warning for him to drop the matter.

"He's an addict and a manipulator. I have more to bother with than a delinquent who only wants me because I won't let him have me. The minute I gave in, he'd leave me hanging so fast it'd make my head spin," Jeno spat, hating the bitter taste that the truth left behind. He had already fallen, and the fact he'd only ever been a game made him feel a little worse than he'd like to.

"Then change him," the other suggested nonchalantly.

"Aren't you supposed to tell me the opposite? We're officers, you know. We're not supposed to indulge in people that do the things he does."

"Yes, I know, but he's young and I can tell he has a good heart. He's just led himself down the wrong path. You can help him to see there are better things out there than drugs and misdemeanors."

Jeno hesitated a moment, drinking in everything Yukhei was saying. His partner was suggesting that he get involved with a delinquent, one that everyone knew well. The reputation of an officer that was meant to be upheld apparently should just be thrown out of the window. He had never felt more conflicted over his situation. Still, he felt to get into a relationship was not something he should do. "I just can't right now, Yukhei."

"Okay," the latter halfway agreed. He knew if his support didn't push Jeno over the edge, nothing would. In his mind, he genuinely believed Jaemin was someone worth Jeno's time. It was just something about how they interacted and looked together that made him believe they may truly be something special. It didn't make sense to him why Jeno was so hesitant towards something that anyone else would've been jumping on the minute they were given the chance. Jaemin was rich, confident, and dripped in appeals of all sorts. What more could anyone ask for?

"I should be going," Jeno whispered before shuffling over to his car with his head muddled from thoughts. Yukhei had shifted his entire perspective with a relatively minute speech, and he didn't know how to feel about it. The blonde officer had made a couple of points, but Jeno just didn't want to believe it could be beneficial to either party to give Jaemin a chance.

"Be safe," the older replied, swinging open the large glass doors and disappearing back inside the station.