Chapter 14: Sentimental

Media: Mao Zhu
https://pin.it/3CP9QVF

---

"Forgive this good-for-nothing... For taking so long."

Hong Chun now understood why her parents weren't complaining about her lack of interest in marriage. It turned out she was already reserved for someone long ago.

If her memory was right, Mao Zhen's brother was accepted in the military when he was 16. She was 13 at that time. He showed potential even without a deep army background. But it wasn't until he turned 18 that he was sent to a serious military campaign.

He didn't have the chance to go home since then because the scuffles in the South were a significant threat to Han.

Father Hong must have decided then that Mao Zhu would be his son-in-law. They were confident he would return safe from the war.

Hong Chun suddenly remembered the fox. If Si Hai's plan worked, Mao Zhu would probably be devastated. Imagine coming home to see your loved one showing affection for another. It wouldn't be unbelievable for this upright man to destroy himself.

"I never thought military men can be so sentimental." She couldn't help but tease.

Her back was still facing him so he couldn't see her face.

Sighing, Mao Zhu was helpless. "You... Really can't get serious for once. Let's just get you home."

He assisted her in boarding the carriage, and then he mounted his horse. He wasn't the type to take advantage of the fact that his younger sister was good friends with Hong Chun.

Although they weren't strangers to each other, he didn't push his luck to ride the carriage with her. It was the image of an honorable gentleman escorting his fiancé.

On the way home, our Hong Chun was thinking it wasn't bad to marry this military person. He seemed to be someone who was rigid in the battlefield but tender to those dear to him.

She remembered that this older brother never refused any of Mao Zhen's requests. As soon as she batted her eyes at him, he'd always be a partner to Zhen Zhen's little crimes.

As for concubines, she accepted the fact that she couldn't escape this fate. This was a polygamous era. There was no need to fuss over matters that couldn't be changed.

As long as no one bothered her, she'd be fine. Having said that, she was still quite sure this future husband wouldn't let her be 'bullied.'

Kidding, she'd make sure this future husband would be her golden leg. She wasn't the type to cling to an existing golden thigh. She'd rather create her own and this Lieutenant Colonel was a perfect candidate.

Mao Zhu felt her eyes on him even though the carriage's curtain was drawn. Hong Chun, who was peering through the thin fabric, saw him flash a knowing smile.

She chose to ignore it.

The young lieutenant colonel couldn't tease his fiancé. He knew that wouldn't turn out to be favorable. If a man teased his little sister, she would probably blush but he knew his sister's friend wasn't like that.

Mao Zhu's mindset was already like this even though their engagement wasn't announced yet. It was because he was sure of it and of his feelings.

He had great potential to go up the ranks in the army and he was blessed to have the apple of his eye be wedded to him. He was a lucky man, indeed.

"We're here."

The man personally assisted her down the carriage.

That was when Hong Chun noticed. "Wait... you actually haven't rested!"