Chapter Ten

[Amanda]

   "I sense her on you," I turned to see Cleona standing behind me, her silver eyes glassy as though she was lost in thought.

   "What are you talking about?" I asked, facing her.

   Her expression was almost sad. "Valilorna. I had hoped that she would be trapped indefinitely but alas, forever is too long for her."

   "So she really is back," I said. "I thought maybe they were from the war and just stumbled upon Earth, but..."

   "Nothing happens by chance, my dear," Cleona said. "The fates have seen all. They have foreseen this as well."

   "Did they see how we beat her?"

   "Unfortunately, fate is... difficult. It is merciful and merciless. It is unpredictable and can be seen at all times. There is no knowing which stream of fate will become reality."

   I sighed. "Of course. Nothing makes sense with you."

   She raised an eyebrow at my comment, but didn't say anything.

   "So what am I supposed to do?" I asked. "Is Valilorna back for real, like in her own body and everything, or does she have a champion like us?"

   Cleona's gaze shifted to the nothing surrounding us, away from me. "I cannot say."

   I held back my burst of anger. She could never just give me a straight answer, and each time she did this, my patience ran thinner. Still, I bit back any comments and waited for her to speak again.

   "Do not fear this new challenge, my dear," Cleona said finally, glancing over at me. "You are to be my strongest champion. Valilorna and her quest for chaos will not prevail."

   Before I even saw her move, she was standing in front of me. She tucked a stray bit of hair behind my ear, before speaking again.

   "You will triumph. Truth and justice always has, and it will continue to do so. You must follow in the footsteps of those who fought before you, avoid their mistakes, and then you will succeed."

   I opened my mouth to ask how when I realized the goddess was no longer standing there. The silver aura that had been lighting up the nothingness was gone, and I shivered in the dark. It didn't last long though. A golden aura appeared in front of me, the figure within it so bright that I couldn't make out their features. But I knew exactly who it was. My hands covered in silver dust and I dropped into a defensive stance, silver lighting up the darkness along with the gold light.

   The figure chuckled. "At ease, darling. I am not here to bring you any harm."

   I narrowed my eyes. "And you'd like me to believe that? After your followers destroyed an entire military base?"

   "Yet, they failed," she sighed. "As disappointed as I was, you can only imagine my excitement when I heard that it was the Champion of Cleona that had prevented their success." She laughed again, sending chills down my spine. "And here I thought my dear friend's pets were only good for breaking."

   My jaw tightened, thoughts drifting to the book of past champions. The big, heavy book of champions who had died on the job. My powers glowed brighter in anger.

   "Hm, yes, you feel powerless," she said, and though I couldn't see her face, I could tell she was smirking. "That is good. Only once you have no power can you truly feel powerful. It is natural for you to feel as such, darling. Truth and justice, they are nothing but concepts to be interpreted by each who wishes to use them. Chaos, now that is material. It can be seen, heard, and felt by all equally. That gives it power."