Chapter Twenty-Three

[Amanda]

  Finn stayed true to his word. He had stayed that night, the one after, and what turned out to be every night for an entire week, but he left me alone for the most part. He didn't push me to talk to him, which I appreciated more than ever. My sleepless nights plus my residue fear and anger all mixed to put me in a consecutively terrible mood, so the space was much needed. We both sat at the kitchen island now, the pancake breakfast Finn had made sitting in front of both of us as we silently ate.

  "Doesn't look like you slept too well," He commented lightly, giving me a small smile.

  I groaned, dropping my head in my hands. "Don't remind me. Do I look that bad?"

  "Never. It's cute."

  "I look monstrous."

  "You say monstrous, I say cute," He gave me a cheeky smile, making me huff in annoyance but still smile a bit.

  "So, what's the plan for today?" He asked casually, and I knew while he avoided forcing me to talk, he was still trying to get some pieces. He'd been trying all week, but I kept my thoughts to myself for the most part. I'd rather deal with it myself than have to burden him.

  I didn't mention it though. "I'm going to catch up on some BeckIT documents."

  "Boring," he yawned and I swatted his arm.

  "But necessary. You probably have a pile of reports to do anyways."

  "I do, but that doesn't mean I do them."

  "You are an awful employee. I'm so glad you don't work for me."

  He placed his hand on his chest in mock hurt. "My own girlfriend wouldn't hire me. Now I know what betrayal feels like."

  That got a laugh out of me as I stood, putting my dishes away. He followed behind me, put his plate down, and wrapped his arms around my torso, burying his head in the crook of my neck.

  "I'm here, remember?" He muttered, the previous cheerful attitude slipping away. "I'll be here, for as long as you need."

  I didn't move for a long moment, almost about to say everything, when a thought came to mind.

  What will he think of you when he realizes you invited Valilorna in?

  So I kept my mouth shut, not trusting my words, and leaned my head against his, my heart pounding not from the usual butterflies, but from the bats.

~~~

  "I don't know what to do. I've asked everyone for guidance, but no one's given me anything. It all leads back to you," I sighed, looking across the battlefield at Optimus, who hadn't moved the entire time, his eyes fixed on the horizon. "You would give me a chance. The others, they see this as an excuse to get me out of the way. Like I'm some sort of child to be hidden. I'm not though. I have legitimate powers to help, but no one will let me."

  Sighing, I shook my head and kept talking, knowing he wouldn't hear me. He never did. Bitterness filled me, replacing the old comfort I used to feel when talking to him. I always knew he wasn't listening, but it used to be okay. Now, it was just fueling the fire.

  "I'm sorry I can't be who they want. Who you wanted." I continued, standing. "But she was right. I can't be you."

  Valilorna was right.

  Almost as though I had said that out loud, as if I screamed it, the Prime flinched. He broke out of his frozen state, eyes searching wildly, and-