Chapter Forty

[Amanda]

   "The gold is spreading," Arcee reported. "We've evacuated the areas closest to the Zaren Pits, but it's moving fast."

   My pacing was as hurried as my thoughts, the conversation I had with Cleona replaying over and over in my mind. The entire team was here now, and Finn had already tried to calm me out of my frenzy, but I couldn't. There was a buzz under my skin, and I had to figure it out.

   "You cannot. Only Primus can."

   How the scrap was I supposed to get a god to listen to me and help out? Not just any god, but the god of Cybertron. The head honcho. The top boss. Even Cleona couldn't help me get his help. How was I supposed to do it alone?

   "We have to get there!" Smokescreen exclaimed. "We have to help stop that thing!"

   "How do you propose you'll do that?" Ratchet snapped. "The Uprising has caused a massive energy surge on Cybertron! I'll only be able to open the space bridge once with that kind of disturbance, and I'll only be doing that when we have a certain plan of action!"

   "And how are we going to come up with that?" Bulkhead asked, getting antsy as well. "Cleona didn't tell Amanda how to stop the Uprising, only that-"

   "Primus can, I know." The medic cut him off, then looked at me. "How-"

   "I don't know!" I said, my stress leaking into my tone. "I- I need more time- I need to figure out-"

   "Time's something we don't have, boss," Wheeljack commented.

   "I know, I know," I muttered, barely paying attention. Only Primus could help. Only Primus...

   Think, Amanda, think!

   She wouldn't have told me that if she knew I could do absolutely nothing with that information. Cleona said I couldn't stop the Uprising, but that didn't mean I couldn't help stop it. Only Primus could truly stop it... there had to be something I was missing. Some link between me and Primus. Something that I could do to-

   "Prime." The word left my mouth in a rush, before my thoughts could catch up. Then everything fell into place. "We need a Prime."

  "What?" Everyone demanded, pretty much in sync.

   It all makes sense now!

   "Think about it," I explained in a hurry. "We've always had some sort of connection with Primus, and it was through a Prime. There were dozens of Primes over Cybertronian history, and they acted through the will of Primus. We had Optimus Prime, and he acted through the will of Primus. Primes are our bridge to Primus himself, and goddesses are the bridge between us and Primes. We need to go to the Well of Allsparks, and I need to raise a Prime."

   Everyone started talking at once, and I took a step back as all their voices hit me at once. Then a sharp whistle pierced the air, and we all turned to Miko, who held her fingers to her lips.

   "I can't believe I'm the one saying this," She said, shaking her head. "One at a time!"

   "How are you supposed to raise a Prime?" Bulkhead asked. "There hasn't been one since Optimus, and that was ages ago!"

   "I know that," I said. "But I've read tons of books in the athenaeum over the past year, and there are a few on how the goddess could raise a Prime with her powers."

   Smokescreen shook his head. "How do you know they're the right books?"

   "Because I..." My voice faltered for a moment, but the words were already tumbling out. "I was looking for a way to bring back Optimus. I learned only how to summon a Prime."