Chapter Twenty-Seven

[Finn]

  The icepack against my head was doing little to ease the throbbing. The base was silent, but everyone was here. Ultra Magnus had finally showed up just moments ago, and when Arcee filled him in on what happened, he'd been silent. Bumblebee and Bulkehad had been confused, claiming that it was impossible, but our somber attitudes convinced them otherwise. Besides, the gaping hole in the side of the base was proof enough.

  After she sent me flying into the wall, Amanda had used her now gold powers to bust a hole right through the base's walls, and then disappeared. The explosion had shaken the entire building, but by the time Arcee and Jack had stormed in, it was too late. All we were left with was that hole and a massive bruise on my head.

  "One more time," Smokescreen said suddenly. "Finn, what happened?"

  I lowered my hand. "Amanda has been acting off ever since I left for Washington. Her temper was a hell of a lot shorter, she was being distant, and she was acting recklessly. I'm sure you've all seen this, and since it's not usually like her, you've tried to mention it." A quick glance around showed me their nods, so I continued. "I did the same thing, except I tried to do more surveillance before approaching her. I spent the last two weeks at her place, and during that entire time, she had barely any sleep. She was so out of it that she'd leave a trail of silver dust on the metal she touched, but as the time passed, the silver became gold." I shook my head. "I don't know what Tempest did to her that first time they met, but it's been imprinted on Amanda ever since. I used to hear her talking to herself at her place, like she was arguing with herself, but I never knew who it was. Now it makes sense."

  "Valilorna was trying to influence Amanda the whole time," Arcee concluded, frowning. "And Amanda was just trying to fight her off."

  "She mentally fought Valilorna for two weeks?" Ultra Magnus sounded skeptical.

  "Longer," Miko said, speaking for the first time since Amanda left. She'd raced into the main area before, yelling that Amanda had gold powers now. I was the first to react, and the only one to get there in time, and I still wasn't able to help.

  Jack nodded in agreement. "It's been almost a month, I think. She never used to get so wound up about little things, but now..."

  "How did we not see this before?" Bulkhead asked.

  I shook my head. "Amanda hides this sort of thing. She always has. She'd rather self-destruct than burden others with her problems."

  Almost selfishly selfless.

  "And we have no idea how to track her." Bumblebee sighed. "So our big gun is a bad guy."

  "Bee!" Raf scolded. "This is Amanda we're talking about! She can't be a bad guy!"

  The quiver in his voice made it seem like he was trying to convince himself that too. I was about to say something, when Ultra Magnus beat me to it.

  "Amanda was able to fight Valilorna for a very long period of time," He said, almost thinking out loud. "I have never heard of a champion being able to last so long."

  My gaze snapped up to him. "This has happened before?"

  He nodded slowly. "There have been many champions before Amanda, and many of them were as powerful as her, making them natural targets for Valilorna. The goddess corrupts their thoughts, makes them turn against their allies, and when their defenses are down, she'll take full control." His expression darkened. "We lost some very strong champions that way."

  "What ended up happening to them?" Miko asked, her tone implying that she kind of didn't want to know.

  "Some we were forced to snuff," Ultra Magnus replied. "Others were killed by Tempest when their usefulness was no more."

  We all fell silent again, my anxiety rising by the second. Amanda was nowhere near safe, not if Valilorna was going to take her to Tempest to hatch whatever evil plan they have in store. Who knew what it would take for Valilorna to pull the trigger and Tempest to kill her?

  No, don't think like that.

  "There has to be something we can do," I blurted. "Some way to track Amanda."

  Raf frowned. "She's good. Like really good. If she and Valilorna sorta merged, then she'll be able to avoid our detection."

  "But what if Amanda is still semi-conscious," Ratchet said, finally speaking up. "I'll configure our satellites to search for her. If she's able to, I doubt she'll pass up any opportunity to inform us of her location."

  Ultra Magnus. "It's a start. Alert the military as well. Amanda's power make her a very dangerous enemy."

  Arcee put her hands on her hips. "Is there any way for us to get the police departments on board as well?"

  "Yes," I nodded, pulling out my phone. "Let me make a couple of calls. If she ever sets foot in any city or town, or tries to cross any border, I'll have someone tail her."

  The plan spurred me into action, and I headed to the back of the platform, dialling Fowler's number first. As it rang, my mind ran a hundred miles a minute. My worry combined with my fear, and it didn't help that there was really nothing else that could be done now.

  Don't panic. Don't freeze.

  So I took a deep breath as the line clicked. "Fowler."

  "We've got an issue..."

[Elsewhere]

  "What in the Zaren Pits was that?!" Tempets screeched, her anger reaching new heights. Mathias, who was giving her a report as a medic tended to his injuries, jumped to calm the leader.

  "Perhaps just another group returning from their mission," he suggested.

  Tempest glared at him. "They all returned. Who the scrap is breaking into my base?! Why is no one giving me a report?!"

  "Because they can't," A voice made them both turn to see-

  "Little champion," Mathias smirked. "Coming to face your demise."

  The Champion of Cleona raised an eyebrow. Her hair was loose around her face, the streak of silver dim and dull, and her clothes were tattered. With a cold expression on her face, she tilted her head to the side to peer at him. "Really, Scribe, I thought you would be more respectful, considering I saved your spark not too many rotations ago."

  Tempest frowned, studying the champion. Something was off... she reached out with her powers to discover the identical powers in the girl before her. Her eyes widened, jaw dropping a bit.

  "Valilorna..." Was all Tempest managed to say through her shock.

  The Champion smiled, her eyes flashing gold. "Finally. I was wondering how much it would take to get some recognition."

  "What?" Mathias sputtered. "How?"

  Her smile grew. "I am the goddess of chaos and war. I control all within my domain, and this champion just happened to wander over the line." She created a fist and studied it in front of her face, as though still getting used to the body. "She is a strong one... but you both knew that, did you not?"

  "My lady-" Tempest started, but Valilorna raised a hand, cutting her off.

  "I do not wish to hear your excuses again. You both realize that this champion could have destroyed you, correct?" The pair nodded, and she smiled again. "Good. Now that the Autobots have lost their precious goddess, we can move on to phase two."

  They fell silent before Mathias spoke, "There was a phase two?"

  Valilorna laughed, the sound cold and echoing off the walls. "There is always a next phase, darling. You should know that by now. This time, the conditions are just right..."

  "For?" Tempest asked, feeling weary.

  "For my Uprising of course."