Chapter Thirty-Six

"We'll embark in teams of two," Ultra Magnus was saying. There were only five of us total ready to go out into the field since the others were still guarding their own stations. Jack was the one to report the first Tempest alert, and was currently waiting for backup before moving in. Finn and I had gotten here as fast as possible and were already changed into our own uniforms. I'd also grabbed one of the blasters Optimus had left for me and holding the cool metal in my hands right now was grounding me more than anything.

   Obviously, I was stressed. I didn't know if one encounter with Valilorna would suck me under her spell again and I didn't know if I'd be strong enough to break free again. Maybe that was what compelled me to grab one of these blasters. It felt like Optimus was back here, protecting me as always, just in a different way. Regardless, it was keeping me sane right now.

   "We're going to have to move quickly," I spoke up, unable to stop my train of thoughts. Ultra Magnus glanced at me and I stopped talking immediately, but that wasn't what he'd intended. He nodded, inclining for me to continue, so I did. "Ultra Magnus and Wheeljack will take the front of the facility and meet the Chaos Fernontas head on, drawing their attention to them. Arcee, you go with Finn and make your way through the facility from the north end. I'll meet up with Jack and do the same from the south. We'll cut them off from all sides and make sure whoever's inside can't get out or get their reinforcements."

   Ultra Magnus nodded again. "Rafael, monitor the communication channels. Ratchet, ground bridge us to the Alaskan facility."

   The pair immediately got to work, and soon a ground bridge opened in front of us. The Autobots transformed, and Arcee pulled up to Finn. He shot me a grin before getting on board and driving off as Ultra Magnus drove up next to me. I got into the passenger seat and he immediately sped through the ground bridge.

   "You're using Optimus' blaster," The commander said as we drove through.

   I nodded. "The military guns just weren't cutting it for me. Besides... it makes me feel like he's still here to protect us."

   "I was thinking similarly, Amanda," He said after a moment. "I hadn't expressed this previously, but I am glad to have you back with the Autobots."

   I grinned. That was as good as it got with him, and it lifted a bit of the weight remaining on my chest. "I'm glad too."

   We made it through the bridge to the Alaskan nature, and Ultra Magnus skidded to a stop, opening the door for me to jump out. I signalled him to keep moving, and he did, Wheeljack hot on his treads as they charged towards the government research lab ahead. I pressed a finger to my comm link, tuning into the channel.

   "Jack, what's your location?" I asked, starting to run towards the south end of the area. The government lab was surrounded by high fences, but there was a massive hole in the front where Wheeljack and Ultra Magnus were currently driving towards. The personnel should have all been evacuated in accordance to Agent Fowler's orders, so at least civilians weren't a concern. I spotted Arcee and Finn follow after the Wreckers before they were out of sight and I refocused on finding Jack.

   "By the south exit," His voice crackled over the comms. "I see you, keep heading in the same direction."

   I spotted his figure crouched next to the fence, his rifle in hand. Racing up to him, I stopped to take in the battle scene and reached out with my powers.

   "There's a big group of Fernontas near the front of the facility," I reported, knowing that I was connected to the comm link. "Most of them are there, Ultra Magnus and Wheeljack make sure they stay there. Only a few are scattered throughout the facility, the rest of us are going after them. The piece they need is near the middle of the place, so let's get there and take out whoever's in our way."