Chapter Forty-Six

This was so wholesome for me to write, I just got so happy.

[Amanda]

I stood in front of the mirror in the base's bathroom, almost not recognizing myself. I think it was the hair that was throwing me off, as the single streak of silver that I was used to was now streaks all over my head. It kind of looked like I had silver highlights. If I looked close enough, I could also see more silver dancing in my irises. It put a small smile on my face. The silver sort of branded me as Cleona's champion, and that was a title I wore with pride.

Before all this, I realized that I never truly understood what it meant to be a champion. Yes, I knew I had the responsibility to help people with my powers, but that was a given. Now... now I knew. Facing Tempest and Valilorna showed me who I was truly meant to be.

I stretched my arms out for the millionth time, trying to work the stiffness out. Finn had said I was out for almost five days, but it felt like much longer. There were still aches in my muscles, and the claw cuts from Tempest still hurt, but I think I was unconscious through the worst of the pain. I splashed water on my face again, the cool water making me feel almost normal again.

Normal.

What would normal even be now? Tempest was dead, Valilorna was... well, out of commission for a long time. I wasn't sure how this whole killing a goddess thing worked, or if we just locked her in the Zaren Pits for good. I'd have to ask Cleona next time.

But what would we do now? Would Jack and Miko still be heading to school in the new year? It was crazy how the time caught up to us, how this all started after we graduated and now, it was almost time for the winter semester to begin. We'd all deferred a semester, but now things were creeping up again. Would they be leaving Jasper for school?

Would I be? I still hadn't actually accepted any offers, just postponed them until next school year. The future was a huge question mark, but it didn't stress me out anymore. What Finn had told me before was true. When I found what I wanted to do, I'd know it. And truthfully, I had a few ideas.

"Amanda!" Miko's voice and her knocking on the door made me snap out of my thoughts. "Are you dead in there? Genuine question, because last time I saw you, you were definitely out cold and-"

I swung open the door, a smirk on my face. "Come on, M, it'll take a lot more to kill me than a trip to the bathroom."

She let out a laugh and engulfed me in a tight hug. I made a small noise of protest as she squeezed the life out of me, and despite my aching injuries flaring up, I hugged her right back.

"You scared us!" She exclaimed, releasing me but keeping her hands on my shoulders. "I mean seriously!"

"I didn't mean to, I swear," I laughed, then got serious. "For real though, how do you feel about the silver highlights? Do I look like an old person now?"

She let out a surprised laugh. "You look totally cool, A. I might even do some metallic color like that when my pink fades again. What do you think?"

"I think a rose gold will look great on you."

"Right!" She hooked our arms together and tugged me towards the main area of the base. "Now, the others will probably be mad if I keep you back here for much longer, so let's move, missy!"

"Hey, Miko?"

"Hm?"

"Can we have a girl's night soon? Like tomorrow night or something?"

"Of course! You didn't even have to ask! Just call me, I'll be over to enjoy your massive mansion and swimming pool and snacks- oh, and your company too."