Chapter Thirty-Nine

[Amanda]

   "You destroyed a computer chip worth 2.7 million dollars?!" Raf exclaimed, and I winced.

   "In my defense, I didn't know how much it cost," I tried. "Besides, I'm paying for it anyways, right?"

   Thank goodness it was BeckIT, that would have gotten me in serious shit anywhere else.

   "2.7, Amanda! 2.7 million!"

   "Okay, okay, I got it the first time." I shook my head and looked up at Ratchet. "The point is, Tempest isn't going to be able to make her space bridge at all without that chip. We're secure on this side."

   The medic nodded. "Good. Now we just have to wait for Ultra Magnus to report his status."

   "Should we keep our patrols out?" I asked, walking up to the computer he was working at. "If she can't build the bridge, then I don't see why we should be shorthanded around here anymore."

   "Agreed," he said, typing away at his keyboard. "And what of Valilorna's scribe?"

   "Agent Fowler and Finn are overseeing his transfer to a secure prison," I replied. "Not the same one as Rozatiolda, but even stronger. There's no way he'll be able to get out."

   "Alone."

   "Alone." I agreed grimly, unsure whether Tempest would risk trying to bust out her scribe. "We just need to keep this up. We have the upper hand at the moment."

   Ratchet frowned. "Perhaps on Earth. We are currently unaware of the situation on Cybertron, and the fact that Ultra Magnus has yet to inform us is unnerving."

   "I know." My voice trailed off and I looked up at the medic. "You don't think something already happened, do you?"

   He didn't reply, making my gaze drop. "Right. We could send Bumblebee and Arcee ahead then."

   That made the medic perk up again. "I'll contact them now."

   I sent him a thanking look, then headed back to the living area of the platform, plopping down on the couch immediately. There was a dull ache in my bones, but I knew it wouldn't go away until Tempest was finally stopped. I wanted nothing more than to face the chaos goddess' champion again, because this time I knew I was ready, but everything that kept coming up was making me incredibly tired.

   Maybe next time you'll take Finn's advice then. That would sure make him happy.

   "Arcee and Bumblebee are en route," Ratchet said, and my eyes popped open.

   "Perfect," I said, getting to my feet despite the protests my body gave. "Before we send them, have you tried to contact Ultra Magnus?"

   He nodded. "Several times."

   The bad feeling within me started up again, and my previous relief was drained away. Was it already too late? The sound of engines roared down the entrance of the base, and Bumblebee and Arcee pulled in. Jack was with Arcee and headed up to the platform as the Autobots transformed and moved towards Ratchet and me.

   "You called?" Bumblebee asked, and we nodded. I waited a second for Ratchet to explain, but he shot me a look instead and I launched into their mission. After I finished, the pair nodded firmly.

   "We'll report as soon as we can," Arcee confirmed as Ratchet started up the space bridge.

   "Actually, keep the comms open, Arcee," I blurted. She shot me a questioning look, and I frowned. "I have a bad feeling. Just... keep them open so we can listen in on what's going on."

   "Sure thing," she said understandingly, and I shot her a grateful look, which she returned with a small smile before she transformed. The space bridge roared to life, and Bumblebee and Arcee drove through, disappearing at the end. As soon as they made it through to the other side, the comms crackled to life.

   "You were right, A," Bumblebee said. "Things look weird."

   "Weird as in?" Jack asked.

   I turned to Raf instantly. "Get the rest of the team here, ASAP."

   The younger boy nodded, and I returned my attention to listening to the comms.

   "There's no one stationed here." Bumblebee was saying. "It's like the post was abandoned."

   "We're moving ahead," Arcee said. "But I don't like the looks of this."

   "Be careful," Jack commented.

   "Try contacting Ultra Magnus," Ratchet suggested next.

   "Copy that."

   I was only dimly listening though, as my bad feeling got infinitely worse. My thoughts began to drift, and my vision became tinged with silver dust. Where I used to panic when this happened, I only held back a sigh now.

   Timing, Cleona. Timing.

   "My apologies, my dear, but urgent matters do demand such actions."

   Oh no, what's going on?

   "You informed me of the dynamics of a mutually beneficial relationship, and I am fulfilling my end of our relationship."

   Oh... well, thanks. Really, it means a lot.

   "We can discuss this at a later time, my dear. I am afraid I do not have positive information to share."

   It's Valilorna, isn't it? I knew I had a bad feeling.

   "Yes. Allow me to take you to Cybertron."

   The world melted away, and suddenly I was standing on the familiar metal terrain of Cybertron. But I'd never been anywhere like this before. The organic metal was all rusted, almost like it was dying, and a few feet in front of me was a gaping hole. I could feel the emptiness radiate off the gap before me, along with the bone-chilling cold.

   The Zaren Pits.

   "Correct." Cleona appeared next to me in her glowing silver glory, her gaze fixed on the gap. "The place for which has held my counterpart for so long."

   "You gave your life to trap her here," I said.

   "I did. Confining a goddess is no simple task, not even for another goddess. It took all of my remaining power to force Valilorna back to her prison. Unfortunately, even the strength of my power weakens over time. The planetary alignment allowed Unicron to almost wake from his slumber, and it had severely impacted my ability to keep Valilorna confined. Now, her champion is finishing the job the planetary alignment has started."

   "She can't though. Tempest is stuck on Earth." I looked up at the goddess. "Right?"

   She lowered her gaze, almost as though she was sad. "Chaos and war runs deep and corrupts the sparks of even the strongest beings, my dear. Valilorna's influence was already on Cybertron before Tempest arrived on Earth, waiting for its master to call upon it."

   Dread filled me. "So I was right. The Fernontas were already here and now-" A sharp fear stabbed through me. "Now they've started."

   Cleona nodded and the pit in front of us suddenly burst with golden light.

   "It has begun, my dear." I could barely hear the goddess' voice over the sudden roar.

   "How do I stop it?" I shouted over the noise and light that began to engulf me.

   "You cannot. Only Primus can."

   And with that, everything went gold.