Chapter Thirteen

"You dream of him often."

   The words didn't register at first. My eyes and full attention was on Optimus, who stood in the middle of another frozen battle. This time, it was a smaller one, where Megatron could be seen leading a group of a dozen Decepticons to counter the attack of seven or eight Autobots. Bullets were still hanging in the air, and Optimus stood where he would have in the actual battle; in front of his Autobots, leading the charge. His eyes were lowered as he looked from Autobot to Autobot, almost as though he was mourning them all over again.

   "Well, I never wanted to lose him," I said, rolling my eyes before facing Cleona. The goddess had appeared as elegant as ever behind me without warning, but I'd gotten good at sensing her presence.

   "No one wants to lose those they love," She said, missing my sarcasm as she moved to stand beside me. "But everyone must let go eventually."

   I glanced away, not wanting her to see the emotions clear on my face. "I can't just forget about him and move on."

   "Cannot, or will not?"

   "Both," I sighed. "Can you tell me anything about where he is now?"

   "My dear..."

   "Is he happy?"

   She didn't reply for a long moment, making me give up on her answer until she finally said, "He is well."

   I frowned, but didn't bother asking her anymore. I knew she wouldn't tell me anything.

   "He would know exactly what to do right now," I said, speaking my thoughts out loud. While the goddess was useless for giving me answers, the least she could do was listen to the rant I felt like no one else could hear. "I have two fighters that aren't trained, my only trained one states away, and barely enough information to figure out what we're up against. I can't call the Autobots for backup because they can't fight this kind of a threat." My voice trailed off. "Optimus would know exactly what to do. He always did."

   "Not always," Cleona finally spoke up. "There was a time where even Optimus Prime did not know what to do. He was not created a Prime; he earned the title and all the responsibilities that came with it, just as you earned your title. He was not the leader you think when he first became a Prime, my dear. He was in the same position you are."

   "How'd he figure it out?" I asked. "How'd he become so much more?"

   "It did not happen overnight. It did not happen within his first battle, nor his second, nor his third. But after each battle, he learned from his mistakes to ensure that he did not make them again."

   "I might not be able to afford to wait," I chewed my lip, my gaze returning to the Prime in front of me. "Isn't there any way I could-"

   "Unfortunately not, my dear."

   The scene in front of me shattered all of a sudden, leaving me blinded, and I reeled back in pain as the pieces were picked up to create an expanse of grey wasteland.

   "Cleona?" I called out.

   "Not exactly, darling."

   Gold light pricked the corner of my sight until I turned to face the source of it. My jaw clenched.

   "Why do you keep butting into my dreams?" I demanded. "You and I have no business."

   The gold light chuckled. "We are all connected, darling. Whether you like it or not."