Chapter Thirty-Five

I almost forgot to post this because I'm so out of it nowadays. Mostly a buffer, but it was very wholesome to write :)

[Amanda]

  I finally got the night off. Over the past week, all I had were overnight shifts at the Arizona BeckIT research and development lab, so my sleep schedule was messed up like no tomorrow and I had the bags under my eyes to prove it. But, tonight it was Miko's turn to take the night shift, and I was looking forward to a full night of sleep.

  Scouting at my own facility was easy considering I had complete security clearance. I told the company that some of my military contacts gave me intel that someone might be planning a heist on the facility, which got security ramped up immediately. Miko and I had been assigned to this location, so we mainly watched what was happened from the security office overlooking the main floor of the lab.

  My mansion was quiet as I finished up cooking dinner, waiting for Finn to get back from his shift. He and Jack were placed at a government base in Alaska, which was also coming up empty. So far, Tempest hadn't made any moves for her last five pieces of her puzzle, which was relieving and concerning at the same time.

  "Miss Beckett, Mr Ryen is at the front door." Blair's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

  "Let him in, Blair," I said, placing two plates on the kitchen island. "Tell him I'm in the kitchen."

  "Yes, Miss Beckett."

  Finn appeared at the kitchen entrance a few moments later, a smile spreading across his face as his eyes took in the scene. "Well, hello to you too, beautiful. Looks like you've been busy."

  I'd put a couple candles on the kitchen island and dimmed the lights a bit, trying to make the kitchen as nice as possible with whatever I had lying around. I wasn't the best at the whole romance thing, but this was my best effort. The candles plus the food was probably more than he expected anyways, so I had to give myself some credit.

  I smirked. "I figured it's been awhile since we had a date night and we've had a long week of surveillance, so..."

  "Date night it is," He finished, walking up to me and wrapping his arms around my waist. He leaned in and so did I, before he ducked last second to check out what was on the stove. I let out a surprised laugh and swatted his arm as he lifted the stirring spoon out and took a taste.

  "Hey this is pretty good!" He exclaimed.

  "Of course it is," I let him go to turn off the stove. "I made it."

  "I thought you only knew how to make pasta."

  "Hey! I survived the past eight years on my own, obviously I know how to make more than pasta. That's just the quickest thing to make and I'm in a rush most of the time. Now grab the baguette and chop it up, would you?"

  "Yes, ma'am." He tossed me a grin and then got to work. "So, have things been quiet in Arizona too?"

  I groaned, giving the stew one last stir. "Boringly quiet. I've honestly passed every level of all the games on my phone already."

  He laughed. "You and me both. Even the Bots are coming up empty."

  "I know," I shook my head, bringing the pot over to the island. "Either Tempest is recalculating after losing me, or she's already working on something big."

  "Not much we can do though," He admitted. "Besides wait."

  I made a face. "I hate waiting."

  "You and me both," He moved to the island with a plate of cut bread. "But at least we get date night because of it."

  "Cute," I smirked, and he darted forward, stealing a kiss before sitting down calmly and filling up our bowls. "You can't keep doing that!"

  "Doing what?" He turned his innocent face on me, and I swatted him again, earning me a laugh. Then, just for fun, I leaned across the table and pressed my lips against his, catching him off guard. I heard his surprised intake of air and took that as my cue to pull back, giving him an angelic smile and sitting down to eat.

  Needless to say, date night was a success.

~~~

  Sunlight peeked through the curtains, hitting me directly in the face, and I groaned, burying my face deeper into the sheets. The sheets shifted through, and the arm around me tightened, pulling me deeper. It was so warm, here wrapped in the blanket and Finn's arm, but I was unfortunately awake and knew sleep wasn't an option anymore. So I reluctantly opened my eyes, which landed immediately on the sleeping boy beside me.

  After dinner, we'd stayed up for a few hours talking about everything while roasting marshmallows on the fire pit outside before finally turning it in. I barely changed into my pjs before crashing, and Finn was just as exhausted. We both fell asleep almost right when we hit the bed.

  "You going to keep staring?" Finn's drowsy voice made me shake out of my thoughts. I nudged him in annoyance as he propped himself up, which he smiled tiredly at, before I sighed and rested my head next to him. His fingers ran absent mindedly through my hair as he spoke again, "What's on your mind?"

  "I wish we could stay like this," I admitted. "Not worrying about potential 'ends of the world' or would-be conquerors."

  "You'd be bored in minutes," He remarked, amused.

  I frowned. "I know but... I don't know, one day I want to be able to move past it. Not now, it would be impossible for me to sit around, but later on..." I glanced up at him. "Ever think about what happens next?" 

  "Next?"

  "After we stop Tempest. The Autobots go back to Cybertron, and we're back to where we were before. Except this time..." I sighed, voicing the concerns I've had for the past year but never admitted out loud. "I don't know if I can go to university, Finn. What would I do?"

  He didn't say anything for a moment, hand still in my hair. "I kind of figured. You could always take a gap year."

  "And do what?"

  "Whatever you want. Travel, work with me and Fowler, go to car shows, host your own, anything."

  I thought that over. "That does sound amazing. But what after?"

  "I think you'll know by then," he said. "I didn't know that I'd have this job a few years ago, but when it came by, I knew this was it. Sometimes things just feel right, and you'll know it instantly."

  It made sense. I knew that Team Prime felt right to me. Being with Finn felt right. Having Miko, Jack, and Raf, that felt right. But so did the action. Leading the team, that felt right to me too. Settling down and wanting all the things a typical teenager wanted... I didn't think that felt right, though part of me said it should.

  Since when have you been a typical teenager?

  Finn leaned forward, pressing his lips firmly against my forehead. "But don't stress over it, A. We're still young, we have time to figure this sort of thing out."

  "I guess," I shrugged. "I just don't want to get it wrong."

  "Then you'd miss out on all the great things life throws at us. Some of the best inventions and decisions only happened because someone messed up along the way."

  My mouth formed into a small smile and I looked up at him. "Since when did you get so smart?"

"I've always been smart," he said in a mock hurt tone. I began to reach up to pull him close again when my phone rang from its spot on my bedside table. With great reluctance, I crawled out of his arms and sat on the edge of my bed to answer.

  "Beckett," I said, seeing it was the base.

  "Amanda, report to the base immediately. Tempest made her move."