Chapter Forty-Four

One year ago...

[Optimus]

   "Welcome, old friend." Optimus Prime turned to see a silver light approaching him, cutting through the darkness and leaving a trail of silver dust behind. Cleona stopped in front of him, a small smile on her face.

   "My lady," Optimus lowered his head, bowing slightly.

   "Please, I thought we expelled your formalities around me years ago." The goddess waved her hand and the Prime straightened. "Though I suppose it has been quite some time."

   "What happened, my lady?" The Prime asked, glancing around the darkness. "Where are we?"

   Cleona's pleasant smile remained. "Why, the Allspark of course. You did illuminate the Well of Allsparks after all. Congratulations, Optimus. You have successfully brought life back to Cybertron, a feat compared to that of no Prime before you. My gratitude for bringing my dear Primus back."

   Optimus only nodded.

   "You are not happy though," Cleona mused, tilting her head slightly to regard the Prime. "You assumed that you would give your life for this cause ever since you became a Prime. Yet now that your prophecy has come to be, you are not content. It is understandable, Optimus. You have left much behind."

   Amanda. The Autobots. Cybertron. Earth.

   Gone.

   "They all grieve you," The goddess continued. "But it is time for you to rest now, Optimus. The fates have been written long before your life, and alas, all must end."

   He nodded again, then his gaze traveled across the empty space. "Just as the fates demand it."

   "Yes," Cleona spread a hand, spreading silver dust to illuminate glimpses of the darkness. "This is your resting place, my friend. You may design it as you wish. You have earned the highest honors as a warrior of Primus, and you are rewarded as such. As a token of the god's gratitude, we will grant you any request, so long as it adheres to the laws of the universe."

   Optimus knew exactly what he wanted. "I wish to watch over my family."

   Cleona's expression saddened. "You have grown incredibly close with my champion, Optimus. I am glad to see that you were such formidable allies. I only wish you had the ability to battle alongside her for longer." She put a hand on his shoulder. "You will be able to watch over her and your Autobots. But you also must rest. There will be a day that the matrix will be called upon again, and you must be ready, just as all the Primes of the past were ready when you obtained the matrix."

   "I understand, my lady. I will be ready."

   She smiled again, warmth present even though her silver touch was cold. "I will see you soon, Optimus."

   Cleona waved her arm, silver dust spreading across her reach, illuminating the darkness entirely. The dust became a hurricane, and the Prime had to cover his eyes to block the blinding light of it all. As soon as it began, the dust faded and Optimus opened his eyes to see that he was standing in the old base on Earth, the one that the Decepticons had destroyed. Everything was familiar, but cold at the same time. On the base's main computers, the maps and scans that had been constantly working were displayed on the screens. The computers over Ratchet's lab had information scrawled across the screens, as though the medic had been in the middle of an experiment. Notebooks and backpacks were sprawled across the living area, and on the tv screen was Raf's favourite racing game. Amanda's car- a Mustang, he remembered it was called- was parked just next to the entrance tunnel. It was like everyone had recently left, but Optimus knew they would not be returning.