Wammy's House

Cars rushed by filled with people going about their daily lives. Some going to work, others going out on dates, family gatherings, school, etc. The busy highway soon changes to a dirt road, backroads, the scenery is a welcoming change. Trees, vivid greens fading to yellow, some orange, one or two red, the colors were almost enough to distract the brilliant mind of the person that closely watched as the world went by. 

A building soon came into view, its size was decent, from the outside it looked a bit like a church. Mainly because of the cross that was at the top of the arch above the front door. There was a gate that went all around the perimeter, it was made of metal, probably iron, black. It curved a bit, having both high and low parts, the tips also had a little cross on them with stone pillars every five feet or so to connect them. One stone, in particular, stood out, it held a plaque that read Wammy's House.

The yard was huge, it held more than enough space for children to frolic, yet on this warm, early fall day, no one was outside. Many windows adorned the building, allowing for lots of natural light to seep through. At the very top was a bell, a few trees were in the yard, on the side was even a small garden for flowers, vegetables, and fruits. A pleasant sight to behold, finally, a car, Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII dark grey, and silver stopped in front of the building. Three individuals sat inside it, two in front, one in back.

It has happened again and I am not sure why. Is there something about me that is displeasing? Do I smell? Maybe it's my grades? I never take school or homework seriously, it all just seems too easy. So why, why does every family that adopts me or fosters me leaves me behind? Why do I get my hopes up just for them to be crushed under the weight of a new addition, new girlfriend, wife, husband, pet, etc. I never asked to be born nor did I want my parents to die. Life...isn't fair...

"We're here, time to go. I know you'll like this school. Only the best for my little girl." Cooed the woman who was to be my new mother. Just last month she had gotten married to a real charmer. He's handsome, wealthy, smart, everything any sane person would want...At least on the surface, he is.

Already over the same lies, I grab the only bag I was allowed to pack, everything else would be shipped. I know it's a lie, they've already thrown out my clothes, pictures, everything that might remind me of them or them of me. "Hurry it up, we don't have all day." I heard my temporary adopted father say in an annoyed tone. "Come give me a kiss before you go, sweety." Releasing a small sigh as I got out of the car then head towards the passenger, leaning in to give Lola a peck on the cheek. However, I stopped halfway, thinking for a moment, this causes Peter to grunt unhappily. "Something wrong, dearest?" Inquired the woman in her early forties. Her dark brown eyes shone with so much love and care, unlike the man that sat beside her.

"Nothing at all, love. I just don't want us to miss the flight. Go on now, don't keep your new teachers and classmates waiting." A large porcelain hand soon rested on my tresses, ruffling them in what some would think was an affectionate manner. But to me, it felt like sandpaper rubbing against my scalp. His fingers dug into my hair for the last time as my brown lips ghosted over Lola's warm beige cheek. Don't worry about me, mum, I'll be fine. I'm sure this is a nice orphanage. Hey did you know this isn't a boarding school but an orphanage, silly mix up huh? There are so many things I wanted to say to the former geisha but I could not bring myself to break her heart, she truly believes that I am simply being sent off to a school for gifted children.

I guess I was taking too long to part, for Mr. Bailey roughly pushed me away from the car, causing me to stumble then fall, landing on my backside and pulling out a nice bit of my hair. Luckily not enough to leave a bald spot but close. Before the car pulled off I heard a gasp and shout, Mrs. Bailey looked back, those dark brown eyes were wide and fearful as they darted from me to another sign that clearly read orphanage. Turning towards the man she had married, I see her small fist striking his shoulder, the car stops, his large hand rises as if to hit Lola. Getting up I start after the car only to be stopped when my headphones are chucked out the window, they hit the pavement with so much force that they shatter. Just like my hopes and dreams for a loving family, my very world.