Ch 20

The black Impala slowly rolled into the driveway of the Timber home. The abode almost seemed surprised of Quinlan's early arrival even if it was inanimate. Still, it accept the child it helped raised happily. The response had been quick and QT was sure she was mistaken when she saw her mother's name appear on her phone following it's ringing. The teen threw her bag on the floor and sat on the front room couch.

"Hey, Mom." Quinlan spoke calmly into her cell. She wasn't scared or anything, perhaps a bit tense but she was sure her mom would be understanding. She was correct.

"Hey sweetie," The cacophony of medical equipment beeps acted as unwanted annoyances on the other side of the line. To hear her mother took all her concentration but QT did it with not much issue. "I got a phone call from your school, is everything okay?"

"Yes, Mom, I'm suspended though."

"Yeah they said that too." A nurse suddenly interrupted the call asking Mrs. Timber about a dosage. Her mother responded with ease and continued the conversation as if nothing had happened. "I'm guessing your suspension has to deal with your broken hand. It's fine you aren't grounded or anything."

"Thank you, you're the best." Quinlan smiled to herself and adjusted her hair.

"Oh, thanks sweetie." The mother cooed as she signed a prescription. "Listen I managed to get the night off, so I'll be home tonight for dinner. I'll cook so go ahead and rest your head. See you soon."

"Okay see you then. Love you, bye." Quinlan lowered her phone after hearing her mother return the gesture. Once again the home was silent. QT would be alone for quite awhile as Cristina was still in school and she doubt her father would be home before her mother. As she finally began to relax she realized how tired she had become. Taking her mother's words to heart, she realized it was time for a nap. Going into her room, plugged in her phone and went to a peaceful slumber.

Across town, a young boy with white hair looked at his phone. It was tucked underneath the table waiting to see if a response would ever come to his simple greeting.

Nothing.

Lincoln locked his phone and rejoined his friend's conversation. It wasn't a requirement in his and QT's relationship to always text during lunch but today he just wanted to check in on her. He knew she was tough but he hoped she'd get back to him soon. Clyde and the rest of the redhead crew were in an in depth conversation about what could be done to save a certain superhero franchise. While Lincoln would love to defend the movies, deep down he knew they weren't worth it. Small clacks of shoes alerted him to glance over his shoulder even before a young brunette in a navy blue dress called for him.

"Lincoln~!" The girl came over with a bright smile, one that shines too brightly for his nerdy crew. They shielded their eyes like vampires from the sun. The brunette was flanked by two of her friends: one a black girl with pig tails in a baby blue flowered shirt, the other a white girl with knee length hair and a purple belted dress. They were from Lincoln's class but he rarely spoke to them.

"Uh, hey Cristina." The white haired boy waved with an awkward smile. The young Timber sister didn't respond. She simply stopped in place and waited with a smile. The friends beside her also seemed to be waiting, scrutinizing him. "Uhh... something up?"

"Huh, did someone call me?" Cristina pretended to seem shocked. "I thought I heard someone call me but something seemed off~" The lack of subtlety in her wink just made Lincoln roll his eyes.

"*Sigh*, Hi Chickadee."

"Ha! Told ya!" Cristina spun to her friends with a big grin on her face.

"Dang, I thought you were kidding." The brown cutie took out a dollar.

"*Giggle*, that's so cute." The girl who once gave cookies to Lincoln moved towards him. She clasped her hands together and put on her best puppy dog eyes. "Do you think I could have a cute pet name too, Lincoln?" Her eyelashes fluttered.