Chapter 19: Death

Naruto sat across from Hiruzen, his mouth gaping in shock as he looked at the body below him. 

It was Shisui's. Shisui's body was laying right in front of him, his eyes missing, the blood from the removal of his eyes were stained on his cheeks, his whole body wet. 

"We found him in the Naka River, the death was ruled as a suicide, I don't know why his eyes are gone though," Hiruzen explained sadly. Shisui Uchiha was one of the strongest the village had to offer, and he was a good man. It was a loss for everybody. 

"I," Naruto began as he slowly reached down, his fingers grazing Shisui's cold and pale cheek, his hand immediately retracting. "Who would do such a thing to you, Shisui? Why would someone want to hurt you? Who could have hurt you? Who could have beat you?" 

"Naruto," Hiruzen said sadly as he placed a hand upon the blonde's shoulder. "It will be okay, there we will be funeral honoring his death." Naruto's eyes had tears in them, a slow steady stream leaking as he wept silently for his fallen sensei. 

"He taught me almost everything I know," He cried out in a shaky voice. "He was so kind and full of love and compassion for everyone he came across! Why? Why did he have to die?" 

"Sometimes, in my belief," Hiruzen began, consoling the fourteen-year-old. "Those who die at a young age are those Kami wishes to be with sooner rather than later, so Kami claims them earlier than usual." 

"I can't accept that!" Naruto cried out, clutching Shisui's body, holding him close as if his body heat would revive the cold corpse. "I can't accept that he's dead! Somebody murdered him! He was my teacher! My comrade! My friend! And now he's dead because of reasons we don't know!" 

"Calm down," Hiruzen chided lightly. "I know this is a harsh thing, Naruto, but people die earlier than we would like. I've lost many people myself, I know exactly what you're feeling. The despair and sadness, I know it all too well." Naruto's watering eyes widened. 

This man had been Hokage for well over fifty years, he had sent people to their deaths without knowing it, and he has most likely outlived many of his childhood friends who also became shinobi, and he also fought in all three Great Ninja Wars. This man had seen death and felt it before. Naruto had no right to feel angry for him to tell him to calm down. 

"I apologize," He said as he stood up, rubbing the tears out of his eyes. "I spoke too soon and without a care for your feelings in the matter." 

"It is okay, you are hurting. Go home and rest, sleep. His funeral will be tomorrow at noon." Naruto nodded before bowing. 

"Thank you for informing me directly, Hokage-sama." 

"Yes, I have a question for you." Two medic nins walked into the room and collected Shisui's corpse from the room, making Naruto look downcast once again. They left the room, making Hiruzen and Naruto alone. "How did you know to come here? I hadn't called for you." Naruto's eyes narrowed.

"A few weird Anbu approached me and said Lord Danzo ordered me to go to you immediately so I did." Hiruzen's eyes narrowed. 

'Damn that fool,' He thought before he smiled. 

"Ah yes, he must've wanted you to know as soon as possible. Though, he didn't inform me of informing you." Naruto nodded. 

"Well, thank you again, or thank Lord Danzo for me, I'll be off now." Naruto bowed again before leaving. Hiruzen sat at his desk, anger flowing through him. How dare Danzo go behind his back?! 

A tired sigh escaped the old Hokage's lips, the good ole pipe being brought out of his pocket as he lit it up, his exhausted eyes closing. 

He used to be the strongest in the village, but he felt weaker than ever. All he could do was wait and pray.