Chapter 40: Dark

Naruto, Sasuke, and Sai walked through the gates of Konoha with Sakura in Naruto's arms, Naruto still covered in blood. 

Not a word was said on the trip there after Naruto returned to Sasuke and Sai covered in blood, his eyes never looking up from the ground. 

Waiting for them at the gates stood Tsunade, Anko, and Kakashi. Tsunade saw the way Naruto was carrying and tears flowed freely out of her eyes, trailing down her cheeks as they hit the dirt below. Anko covered her mouth in shock as tears gathered in her eyes while Kakashi looked on with a sad look in his eyes.    

"Iwa shinobi," Naruto whispered in a low tone just loud enough for Tsunade to hear him. She noticed his bloodstained clothes. 

"You didn't. . ." She trailed off. Naruto looked up, his dull gaze meeting Tsunade's honey brown. 

"I did."

"But a war," She whispered in a weak voice. "We can't handle another war, Naruto. . ." She understood the feeling of wanting revenge against enemy shinobi, having lost her younger brother and her lover in the same war. 

"There will be no war," Naruto replied as he fell to his knees, all of the energy leaving his body. "Because Iwa can't declare war." 

Kakashi's eyes widened as he realized what Naruto was implying. "What did you do, Naruto?" Naruto's eyes trailed down to Sakura's face. 

"It looks like she's sleeping." He whispered. Kakashi rushed forward and grabbed his younger brother figure by the collar, desperation clinging in his tone. 

"What did you do?!" He shouted. 

"The Hidden Stone is no more." Kakashi took a step back, shocked to the core at what Naruto had just said, looking at the blonde with horror-filled eyes. 

"You destroyed Iwa?" Anko asked him. 

"Not a single survivor," Naruto confirmed in an emotionless tone. "They didn't deserve any mercy." 

"What about the civilians?" Tsunade suddenly questioned, trying to get control over her own emotions. 

"Dead," Naruto replied. 

"Why?"

"Because I had the power to do so," Naruto said as he stood up. "Because they murdered my daughter." He met Tsunade's eyes. "And I will not tolerate a single person hurting my precious people. Those who threaten them will deal with me." 

"But you just destroyed an entire village!" Kakashi shouted. "There are proper ways of doing things!" 

"No, there really isn't," Naruto whispered in an angry voice. "Just because you failed to take revenge for Rin and Obito doesn't mean I will follow in your footsteps." Kakashi's eyes widened as rage filled his entire system. 

He dashed forward and collided his fist with Naruto's jaw, but to his dismay, the man didn't even move an inch. Naruto rose an eyebrow. "Oh? Is it my turn now?" In a flash he set Sakura's body down on the ground and backhanded Kakashi into the gates, a crack appearing in the concrete. 

"Don't lecture me on right and wrong, Kakashi. I've been apart of this shinobi world the moment I was born. I was never destined to live a peaceful life," He monologues as he approached Kakashi, who had since taken himself out of the wall. "This world took many things from the both of us, but. . ." 

He grabbed Kakashi by the throat, his Sharingan activated as he lifted the grey-haired Jounin into the air. "I've lost more than you can even imagine. Who are you other than my older brother to say there are proper ways of doing things?" He turned to everyone else, releasing Kakashi who collapsed to the ground, gasping for air, his hand massaging his throat.