Chapter 38: Questions

"You're back!" Anko shouted as she immediately jumped on her boyfriend who was standing outside of her apartment door, capturing his lips in a searing kiss. Returning the love with equal passion, Naruto couldn't help but smile even bigger than before. 

He had truly missed her. 

Disconnecting the kiss, Naruto grabbed her in a tight hug. "I missed you, Anko-chan." 

"I missed you too, idiot." She whispered in a reply. Naruto chuckled. 

"Mind if I bunk with you tonight? I'm afraid Sakura will see me if I go back home." Anko rose an eyebrow but nodded.

"Don't you miss your kids?" She teased as she led him in her apartment. Naruto grinned and shrugged.

"I want to surprise both of them tomorrow when Sasuke and I have to spar with the rest of the teams." Anko laughed lightly. 

"Oh? Are you telling me you and Sasuke are gonna face them all at once?" Naruto shrugged once more. 

"I'm not too sure. Hokage-sama might have us battle them team to team, or she might have us face all of them at once. Either way, it won't change the outcome." Anko frowned slightly as she handed Naruto a cup of tea. 

"I hope you haven't grown arrogant. . ." Naruto shook his head, a small smile on his lips as he met his girlfriend's questioning gaze. 

"I now have the power to fulfill my dream." He whispered, his voice laced with excitement as Anko's eyes widened. 

"You mean. . ." Naruto nodded.

"I have become one of the most powerful people in the Shinobi Nations." Anko looked at Naruto with disbelief. "I can finally fulfill that foolish dream I held onto when I was child, but. . ." He trailed off. Anko cocked her head to the side. 

"What?" 

"I'm not sure that's my dream anymore." He whispered, shame overtaking his body. "Right now, I just want to live what's left of my life without any worries. I want to live with all of you and die with all of you. I have no true desire to bring peace anymore, I just want to live my life the way I want to. Is that selfish?" 

Anko smiled warmly. "Not at all, Naruto-kun. After so many years of holding so many terrible burdens, you deserve everything in this world and then some. You are entitled to your feelings and I believe that you are justified to feel the way you do." 

Naruto looked at his cup, his face reflecting off the brown substance, his blue eyes shining semi-brightly. "I just feel like I'm slapping everyone that I loved as a child in the face. I preached about forcing everyone to the tables of peace, and now? Now I'm backtracking on all of my words." 

"Don't worry too much about it," Anko said as she stood up, kissing Naruto on the cheek. "I'm going to take a nap, feel free to join me." Naruto looked at the time on the kitchen stove and rose an eyebrow.

"It's only one and-" He stopped himself before a grin crossed his face. "Ohhhhh, hell yeah." He quickly followed Anko into her bedroom. 

Naruto and Sasuke walked side by side, going down the dirt path that went to the training grounds that Tsunade had decided to hold this little competition. 

"How much are we going to reveal?" Sasuke questioned. 

"I want you to display your strength as the second strongest in the village." Naruto replied without missing a beat. 

"And you?" Naruto pondered for a moment before shrugging. 

"We'll see. You're going to be doing most of the fighting anyway. I doubt I'll have to step in." Sasuke stopped himself from rolling his eyes.