❧three❧

M A T T I A
❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧

I entered the restaurant; slightly adjusting my tucked in button up shirt. I clutch onto the bouquet of assorted roses in my hand; tightening the grip as I make my way towards the back of the lit up room that smells of italian combinations and cigarette buds.

I see her sitting at a table on her phone; with her medium length hair tucked behind her ears revealing her diamond encrusted earrings. She's wearing a dark blue dress that tugs amazingly on her body. When she noticed my presence as I make my way towards her, she looks up and smiles broadly.

"Hey" she stands to hug me and I wrap my arms around her tightly. As I pull away I hand her the bouquet of flowers and watch her pupils dilate into beautiful sparkling jems. "You shouldn't have-" she says as she kisses my cheek and takes a seat.

I sit across from her and smile as well. "You look amazing" I say. She really does look beautiful

"Stop" she grins and plays with the ends of her hair. "You look handsome too"

"So Ava" I say as I outstretch my arm and take her hand; intertwining our fingers together so I'm in contact with her softened skin. "What would you like to order?" I ask as I use my other hand to place my phone on the table upwards.

She hands me a menu as she begins speaking. "I think I'll take" she looks over at the menu as we both scroll through the pages. "I think I'll take Mafaldini, with the pink peppercorn and parmigiano" she looks up at me and we interlock eyes.

"I think I'll take" I look down at the menu, breaking the eye contact. "This one.The grilled veal flank steak with hot pepper and basil" I say as I point at the 'meat' section of the menu.

She nods and I raise my head so I can call over a waiter when I see a man already approaching us. He takes our orders and then walks off, before saying he'll be back shortly.

"Why the flowers" she says at me.

"Hm?"

"Why the flowers" she smiles and laughs a little. "Have you taken your antidepressants? Is that why you seem so romantic?"

I cringe at her statement. I began taking antidepressants years ago to relieve my stress and make me react more... normal than I would if I hadn't taken the pill. But it annoys me that she tends to bring it up every time I'm in a good mood.

The antidepressants have made me happier. Especially after this morning when i saw her.

Dawn.

I was going crazy when I arrived home. My mind was racing...questioning what she had told me... and I felt like forcing the entire bottle of medication down my throat.

But I would end up dead if I did that. And death is something I try to get off my mind.

"I took them" I reassure her as I sigh and tap my fingers on the table. "And I got the flowers because it's our four month anniversary. Remember?"

"Of course I remember" she says scoffing. "That's why I thought this was enough" she says looking around the restaurant. "But thank you" she leans in and kisses my lips gently.