❧twenty-six❧

M A T T I A
❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧

Someone was knocking on my door. It was 11 p.m. and I was getting ready for my night shower. I decided to ignore the knocking but it continued on. The person clearly needed me as I heard their fists bang against the wooden door. Why couldn't they just call me

"Who is it!" I shouted as I approached the entranceway.

"Open, Mattia" the voice sounded familiar.

"Dawn?" I asked as I used my hand to tug on the doorknob. But Dawn wasn't there.

"What do you want, Ava" I asked as I sighed to myself

"I hope I'm not bothering you" she said trying to give off a smile. But I didn't smile back.

"What do you want" I repeated as I leaned my head on the door

She shrugged. "Can we talk inside?"

"We can talk out here"

"Please. I'd rather talk inside. I just need to tell you something"

I hesitated before inviting her inside. She stood in front of the doorway as she faced me. Her eyes gazed over at the ground and then back up at my features; which made me squirm in my clothes

"I have to get stuff done so talk"

"I've been thinking" she sighed and looked down at the ground. "I wanna get back together"

I laughed a little. A laugh that contained no humor but it definitely caught her attention as she stared into my eyes.

"W-what. I'm serious"

"You're kidding. You broke up with me"

"Yes I know" she said. "It was a mistake"

"You've waited—how long has it been—three weeks? Three weeks to realize it was a mistake?"

She shook her head. "I just needed time to become a better person. A better girlfriend. Trust me I'm better now"

"Ava-"

"Don't 'Ava' me" she began. "Because I know what you'll say next"

"Okay then this conversation is pointless" I shrugged

"'No it's not" she sighed as if she was mad things weren't going her way. "I just need you to understand-"

"No I understand it completely. But things with us are over"

"And for what?" She smiled sadly. "For another girl? For Dawn? I-is that what it is? Dawn?"

"Me and her are fine"

"You still like her, though. That's why you don't wanna be with me?"

I stood there, unable to say anything but she kept talking, making it easier for my thoughts to slip under the situation

"Mattia look" she fixed her hair and fluttered her eyelids at the ground. "If I didn't care about you I wouldn't be here trying to fix things. Unlike her. When did she ever come to you for anything ever since you found her? Had you not seen her at that coffee shop, she would've continued to be in Jersey without telling you. She left you for years. And through all of it you still run back to her. Don't you see?" She laughed. "She doesn't care half as much as you think she does. She can't build a family with you, Mattia. Because she's so stuck on making you feel like you've done something wrong"