1: Baby Steps

**This story contains drug use, sexual assault and mature themes. I started writing it when I was 14, and prioritized being controversial over romantic. I do not condone the activities in this book. However, I decided against taking it down. Deleting it would be hiding it, whereas I'd like to show that I've grown as a person.**

"I hate you!" I yelled holding in a laugh as Maver ran ahead of me, my backpack slung over his shoulder.

"Hate me all you want, you still can't catch me!" he teased looking over his shoulder at me. The big grin on his face showed his perfect straight white teeth.

I groaned and trudged to his car not bothering to run. Rain drizzled from the sky and dampened my red hair. "You sure are in a good mood." I sighed as I climbed into his beat up 1965 Chevy Chevelle. He kept saying he was going to fix it up, but he never did. Maver had had that car since we were 14, he bought it from a friend's dad, and he had done nothing past getting it to run.

"Finally out of my parent's house, of course I am fucking happy." He grinned as he pulled out of the school parking lot and turned on his phone.

"Lucky."

"It's okay kiddo. One day you'll be 18 and can move out too." He teased.

"Okay you are barely six months older than me. I'll be 18 soon enough. And yeah when I move out it won't be to move in with my brother."

Maver just shrugged and turned onto the highway causing my hair to fly around in the gush of air. "Thanks for helping me move."

"No problemo. Just promise me one thing; next time tell be beforehand that you have a brother I've never met."

"I never thought you'd end up meeting him and I haven't seen him in over two years so it didn't seem like a big deal." he shrugged.

I rolled my eyes and pinned my hair up so it would stop whipping against my face. "I'm supposed to be your best friend." I pulled open the glovebox with a hard tug and fished a mountain dew can out from it. "I should know these things."

Maver grabbed the soda from my hand and downed it before I could have so much as a sip. "Yeah yeah." 

[[ Hola! ~ Sorry this one is sooooo short! I originally made this for a different site that had a word limit. (Quizilla, 2006) ANYWHO! The chapters get longer as the story goes on. (Some chapters 5k words and more.) Thanks for reading <3 ~ Jade ]]