01: Pilot

When MJ had gotten in her car to get to the first day of junior year, she'd felt shivers. If only there hadn't been a freaking animal attack on the news. She wouldn't have had anything to worry about if that hadn't happened.

Animal attacks.

The phrase always raised red flags in her head, but eventually, she'd have to stop being paranoid. Maybe that day was today. Not every single potentially supernatural situation was actually supernatural, and even if it was, even if there was a rogue vampire running around the town, that didn't mean it was gonna alter her entire life.

She could just be Mira Jung, MJ, new girl, soon to be 'remember her?' girl.

She'd been in Mystic Falls for a week.

And other than the animal attack on the news that morning, nothing exciting had happened - which was a good thing. She kept telling herself that. She was going to be busy with school, meeting people, getting used to the town, she didn't need to learn her new home was a vampire nest or something. She just needed to slip into the town's world for a year, then move on. The routine she'd built up.

As she parked at the school she looked at her phone. It was attached to the dashboard and had been recording all of her thoughts during the drive.

"De todos modos...te amo, habla pronto," She pressed pause and saved the file.

Her brother was in another country, and busy, she couldn't just phone him every time something happened in her life, but pretending she was talking to him was a habit she'd developed. It was a moment where she didn't have to be wary of anyone around her, and she could be open and honest, a modern-day diary. She sent the files to her brother at the end of each week, so he'd know what she was up to, and she could already feel him judging her for choosing to live in a place called Mystic Falls and expecting anything other than a vampire attack.

Whatever.

She just went to where her map told her to go, and it had never steered her wrong before.

She turned off her car engine, slipped her phone into her pocket, took a deep breath, and got out of the car. Opening her door right into a guy in a brown jacket and sunglasses.

"I'm so sorry," she was laughing a little, she couldn't stop herself, and the guy seemed fine. If she didn't know better, it almost felt like a meet-cute.

"Don't worry, I should've been paying more attention too."

His voice was calm, collected, and he wasn't carrying any kind of school bag.

"You a junior here?" she asked carefully, noticing a few people looking in their direction and trying to work out which of them was attracting all the attention.

"A new one, yeah."

"Same," she held out her hand, "MJ."

He took it, "Stefan."

Interesting.

"Well, see you around fellow newbie," She said as warmly as she could, before acting like all her attention was on grabbing her bag from the other side of her car. She was actually watching his shadow walk slowly away.

Maybe now wasn't the time to stop being paranoid about vampires.

Or maybe her witchy intuition was wrong, and he was just giving her normal bad vibes over supernatural bad vibes.

A ring on his finger was shining in the sun as he walked through the crowd.

Mierda.

One vampire and an animal attack on the news didn't have to mean anything.