88: Down The Rabbit Hole

a/n: not me updating compulsively because I want to get to the end of this season as quickly as possible 🤭 (also because the last chapter got more votes than usual which made me feel all warm inside ♥️ love to you all)

~***~

MJ didn't end up making a decision about the White Oak Stake, wanting to sleep on it, Tyler sworn to secrecy until she'd reached a conclusion.

If everyone knew about the stake, they'd probably come after it, and they didn't need that stress in their lives unless MJ was one hundred per cent sure about it.

She wasn't one hundred per cent sure about anything anymore.

Klaus had cured Caroline, which was a little bit of weight off MJ's shoulders, her friend stepping onto the porch and letting Tyler take her home to rest.

MJ didn't want to go with them.

She didn't want to go anywhere.

She just sat on the porch swing, thinking.

Sitting there was weird.

MJ was pretty sure that the last time she'd been on the swing, she'd been out of her mind, Kol next to her, trying to help.

As the memories of that day slowly faded in, MJ had learnt a few things.

She'd screamed when offered vampire blood, chucking Kol into walls. Kol had made fun of Klaus's lacklustre attempts to get inside and then thrown glass at Stefan's head while also acting as MJ's translator. She remembered every excruciating moment of the hex, and it had joined the collection of moments she'd have nightmares about.

She remembered everything except what Kol had done inside of her head.

She also remembered the moment she'd told him that in Mexico, and how he'd shifted.

Now he wasn't there to ask; she wanted to know. MJ needed to know every memory of him she could potentially have.

But he was dead.

MJ moved to the centre of the swing, crossing her legs.

She wanted to hear his voice, and sure, she had audio messages, but she wanted to listen to him – see him.

Just one more time.

She'd been too scared to try and contact Ric, scared that she'd find the evil version of him who'd told the council he wanted her dead. MJ didn't want to remember Ric like that. She'd basically managed to avoid meeting evil Ric in person, and she intended to keep it that way. She refused to ruin her memories.

Carol was human.

MJ didn't know how she'd managed to find Henrik, so she had no clue how she could potentially find Carol, but Kol?

If she could see him, she had to.

And she didn't even need to draw massive circles across the ground to do it!

MJ wasn't trying to infiltrate someone's memories, she wasn't seeking counsel from a witch. She was just looking for the spirit of a vampire.

He was on The Other Side.

MJ just needed to open a window, and thanks to Kol, she was back in touch with her spirit magic.

Plus, if the ancestors were going to force her to feel death, she was going to use it for something good and selfish. She deserved that much. All MJ needed was the right spell, hands acting as candles.

She placed her palms upon her knees, like she was about to do yoga, half-aware that Klaus was closely watching her from the living room.

"Fantomă, Apel Mie, Convoca și Mou Alítheia."