56: Dangerous Liaisons

When morning did finally come, MJ still wasn't allowed into Ric's room to see him. She could only wave at him through the glass while stupid human doctors handled everything.

Meredith convinced her to leave by promising to smuggle MJ's magic tea in for her.

She also left because Ric was yelling at her to 'go home and sleep' through the door.

She didn't want to stress him out when it seemed like he'd woken up genuinely okay, so for the first time in a long time, MJ did what she was told.

The moment she walked out the entrance, she regretted doing so, nerves spiking so severely that she spent the entire walk back to her apartment looking over her shoulder. She swore there were eyes on her. As much as MJ knew she could get a little paranoid, the last time she'd felt so intensely watched had been when tomb vampires had been trying to kill her.

The breeze blew slightly too strong.

MJ shook herself awake.

She was imagining things.

It wasn't like there was a super ancient and powerful witch in town, who'd made it clear she wanted MJ dead – oh wait.

She picked up the pace.

Two people were jogging on the opposite side of the road, hoodies up, but no magic radiating from their bodies. None she could sense anyway. They were just joggers. It was the end of fall, of course they were wearing hoodies. Not everyone spent their lives overheating the way she did.

The door to her apartment building was a little ajar.

It was an old door, and the landlord never called maintenance. She'd become the unofficial building handyman after staring at the two broken washing machines in the basement for a month before finally fixing them herself – now, most of her neighbours called her if they needed help.

She got to her floor, stepping out of the stairwell.

'Breathe in.'

The hairs on her arms stood up as she was slammed into the nearest wall at superspeed.

For a second, she assumed it was Klaus – yellow eyes, super strength, and wolf fangs.

But it wasn't.

It was a hybrid.

He instantly bit her shoulder, causing MJ to scream at the top of her lungs.

That reaction only made him madder, hand yanking on her wrist to dislocate her elbow, driving her further into the brick to try and force her still.

Her other hand shot forward, flinging him into the opposite wall.

She didn't know whether to be grateful for her still active silencing charm or not, keeping her neighbours from rushing out.

While he scratched up the wallpaper to try and fight against the spell, she took a moment to wake up and check the bite.

Looking at blood made her heart beat faster.

Just bleeding.

Just a bite.

It wasn't like he'd genuinely tried to eat her, thank god.

He broke free in her moment of relief.

Her head whacked back again, stars filling her vision as gravity officially didn't exist, his hand keeping her from toppling over – not out of any kindness. He was holding the back of her neck, ready to snap it.

He didn't though.

Instead, he placed the other hand over her heart, ready to dig it out.

MJ let all her stress pop out, "Avia."