35: The Dinner Party

The next time MJ saw Tyler, she was going to kill him.

Not actually.

Maybe actually.

She'd been at work when Liz Forbes had shown up with a list of questions to ask her, and she wasn't going to let MJ dodge her anymore. The son of the Mayor had gone missing. He'd gone missing, and phoning MJ was his last sign of life according to his phone records.

MJ had been driven to the Police Station then led to Liz's private office.

Carol was waiting in one of the chairs, checking her phone every three seconds and looking around like everybody was an enemy.

Liz made her tea while MJ played with her fingers, trying to work out what she was supposed to say.

Playing dumb was the obvious way forward, except, she didn't know how much they'd learnt. Suppose Carol had parental controls on Tyler's phone? The call could've been recorded, and she'd be caught in a lie the moment she denied anything.

She couldn't believe Tyler had left town without telling his mum something.

...Liz and Carol knew about vampires.

She could've tried explaining the situation to them, but a voice in her head kept reminding her that it wasn't her secret to tell.

'Hi, Carol, you're kid's a werewolf, and he's run off with an alpha to learn about the wild,' didn't exactly roll off the tongue.

She couldn't rat Tyler out like that.

"You said, the two hadn't really seen each other all week, and then he phones you and disappears – He must've said something?" Carol was adamant, "Matt told us that he hadn't been staying with him, and he hadn't been in school either!"

"Like I said," MJ kept her calm, "He spent the time with Jules."

Liz had a sheet of paper out, "I need you to run us through everything he said to you. No detail is too small, and you've got to understand, MJ, after Vicki Donovan, we don't really trust the whole 'leaving town' story."

Shit.

"Did he not tell you anything?" MJ looked at Carol.

"He left me a card explaining that he wasn't going to be coming home for a while and that he loved me," She was shaking.

He should've just told her he was a werewolf.

She might've kicked him out of the house if she was anti-all things supernatural, but at least then he could've left with no problems.

"MJ," Liz looked at her.

"Yeah, okay," She looked at her hands, "Tyler told me he'd spoken to Matt, and he said he wanted to talk to me too but didn't know where I'd be. I didn't ask why, boys can be weird with emotions, so I assumed it was just, you know, a sad moment to do with losing Mason and his dad, and we talked about friendship. That was it."

"That was it?"

"Yeah."

"Nothing in the background to let you know where he was?"

"Um, there was a little bit of radio in the back? Ty works out to music, so I figured he'd just finished doing that or something."

Carol looked at MJ, then at Liz, before slamming her hands on the table.

"Stop lying to us."

"I'm no – "

"You followed my husband on Founder's Day. You were there when he died, and now my son is missing, and I want to know where he is, and I know you know something. So tell us before this becomes an official investigation into y – "