47: The Reckoning

MJ's return to Mystic Falls at the end of August was an interesting one. She was officially 18, entering her second year in one location, and incredibly nervous about a lot of things. The selfish, trivial things were the ones she was choosing to focus on. Over August she'd worked her way through shades of pink dye, and her maths teacher had seen her in town and told her that it had to be gone by the first day of class, 'or else'.

They weren't even back at school yet, and she was getting dress coded.

If she focused on fighting society one bottle of hair dye at a time, she could ignore all the things that were already going wrong in their senior year.

While she'd been in New York, she'd missed; Jeremy revealing that he'd been seeing the ghosts of his ex-girlfriends all summer; Damon trying to kill Bill Forbes because he'd found a way to resist compulsion; Caroline kicking his ass for said attack.

"That's my girl!" MJ had cheered when she'd heard that story.

Damon had also killed Ric.

He'd been wearing the Gilbert Ring, but it had still happened.

Tyler had physically held MJ back to stop her from marching into the Salvatore House and killing Damon in retaliation. Ric's response to being killed was to join the council as the Gilbert Family guardian.

A good thing that had happened while MJ had been gone...

Well, Katherine.

Katherine had lived up to her word.

She'd stolen the necklace from Bonnie, and she hadn't been seen since. 'Seen' being the keyword. MJ may have cut Klaus off, but she was still checking in with the other devil in her life.

They had an unspoken mutual agreement that they were going to find a way to get Stefan free of Klaus.

Even if Tyler hadn't stopped MJ from charging to the Salvatore House, Damon wouldn't have been there to get killed. He hadn't been seen since he killed Ric. He'd 'taken a beat', and the timing matched up with when Katherine had been in Mystic Falls. MJ didn't think that was a coincidence. Katherine had been looking for a partner in crime, and if Damon was dumb enough to let her play him, that was a problem for him.

MJ wasn't about to complain that he wasn't in town.

Elena had also backed down a little after seeing Stefan in Chicago, which was good, and MJ hadn't seen Klaus since he stopped by in New York. She knew Stefan was still alive because she could track him, and knowing he was alive was enough for the time being.

"Come on! Seriously?!"

Caroline's voice came from a nearby room.

"Do you know how long it took to set all this up?!"

As MJ walked towards the noise, she saw Matt standing in front of a room she'd previously helped fill with mousetraps.

The traps had all been set off.

"And this is why I said we should've used magic," MJ declared.

Tyler nodded in agreement while Caroline rolled her eyes.

"Forgot about senior prank night, huh?"

"Clearly," He sighed.

"How could you forget?" Caroline frowned, "We've only been waiting for this since like freshman year."

Elena stood up straight and pointed at him, "If I'm doing this, you're doing this."

"I'm kind of surprised any of you are doing this," Matt glanced around the room.