22: Founder's Day

MJ walked through the town in costume, stopping to take pictures with a few of the younger kids, and letting herself get wrapped up in everything Mystic Falls. The parade was starting at the High School, but she hadn't been able to resist checking out all the finished fair stalls along the streets. Adults nodded in approval and were far more polite than usual, making sure their kids didn't tug on the skirt too hard in fear of Carol Lockwood coming after them.

When MJ did finally arrive, everything was in chaos, Carol using her 'I'm in charge' voice.

Carol was really good at being in charge.

"No, no, no! It's all wrong!" She was rushing to the musician's area, "The marching band should be in front of the Historical Society!"

She spotted something else.

"Matt, get up on the float!"

Another thing.

"Boys, I asked you to put chairs on the Founder's Float," She spun on her heel at the sound of cheerleaders, "Elliot, get your squad in the right place! Ladies! MJ!"

She grabbed MJ's arm, happy to see her.

"Time to get on the float?"

"Carol," MJ was giddy, "You got this."

MJ had ended up staying to help with sound checks and tidying up, so she knew everything was going to run smoothly, she'd made sure of it – the only thing she hadn't been able to cast a spell on was the supernatural. She just had to accept that vampires and hunters were a massive Chekov's Gun in her head. Out of her control.

She'd stayed because she'd wanted to be helpful, and because she'd needed something to stop her stupid brain from overanalysing Bonnie's behaviour.

Bonnie was a good person. She wouldn't want to hurt anyone.

But that was an argument for both 'Bonnie didn't take the charm off,' and 'Bonnie did take the charm off'

It didn't even matter!

Isobel had the device, which meant John had it, so if Bonnie hadn't done the spell, there wasn't anything MJ could do until she saw John.

"You've done an amazing job," MJ zoned back into the slightly calmer version of Carol.

The woman smiled, "Thank you for saying that."

She looked MJ up and down.

"The costumes all look amazing."

MJ beamed, "I brought my camera to get proper pictures of everyone in them."

"We have a photographer – "

"I know, but I wanna have my own copies," She laughed at herself a little pulling the old camera out of her bag, "I wanna remember everything."

Carol rubbed her shoulder and sent MJ on her way.

She spotted Stefan, his perfect hero hair shining in the light and a content smile on his face as he waited for his girl.

Snap.

The moment he heard the shutter sound, he spotted her and looked like a deer in headlights.

"Delete that!"

"I'm not gonna share it! It's for my archives," She held the camera close to her chest while walking to stand by his side, "I mean, I could make a fortune...A new photo of a man from the Civil War period..."

"I think the very modern High School in the background might get you called a scammer."

"I can edit it out."