54: The Ties That Bind

Surprisingly enough, MJ did actually get some sleep that night. Klaus had summoned all the hybrids, explaining what they were going to do for him while they were out of town, which meant Tyler had seen her. He'd carried her to the sofa to force her to sleep. By the time she woke up, she'd been wrapped up in one of his old letterman jackets since the house didn't exactly have bedrooms yet, and he'd left food for her in the kitchen.

While she made breakfast, she went through her phone.

Bonnie had been there to see Jeremy off, Caroline had fully recovered from her bite, and there hadn't been any more crazy Stefan moments.

Caroline had sent her a picture too.

A picture of a blue velvet box, and a silver jewelled bracelet.

-          It's from Klaus.

'What?'

-          I don't know! The card said his name and Happy Birthday!

'...vampires are weird.'

-          Hey!

'Vampires who weren't born in this century are weird.'

-          Better

MJ watched the typing dots appear

-          Are you safe?

'I think so. For now anyway. Until he realises I'm stalling, I'm safe.'

-          MJ.

Klaus needs to think he's getting when he wants or he'll start looking himself, and Stefan will end up dead.'

-          One day you're gonna have to start putting your own safety first

'If I thought I was going to die, I would've run.'

"And you're awake," Klaus walked in, a cup of blood in his hand.

"I am," She put her phone away, "Caroline's better."

"Do I get a thank you?"

"You get a thank you for that when I get a thank you for breaking the Hybrid Curse."

He shrugged, taking a long sip while MJ returned to the main room to get on with figuring Stefan's masterplan out.

The most ironic thing about the situation was that MJ didn't even need to fake not being able to find him.

She tried four magic tracking spells, the first to show every vampire in the area, and the spirits didn't even like that, causing the map to start ripping itself up.

Then she used her blood to show a map of where her witchy locator beacons were around town, an attempt to waste time and show Klaus 'potential Stefan hiding spots', only to watch her blood dissolve the page, having turned to acid despite the fact she didn't tell it too.

Then the ancestors started setting the maps on fire. Then the floor. Then her.

They made all her herb pots explode, and when she tried to locate Stefan's spirit to see into his head, they started screaming.

Screaming out loud, not in her head.

Their screams burst through every open window and doorway.

Klaus appeared in a whoosh, expecting to see MJ murdered on the floor, only to find her aggressively patting flames out of her clothes as cuts across her palms turned black.

Her hair had frizzed out around her head.

"Por Dios," She cursed, slumping back and waving a hand to tidy up the mess of herbs, "Witches are so obnoxious!"