98: The Walking Dead

The hangover that the human faction in MJ's life had the next day was next level.

Most of her group ended up crashing at Elliot's place at around one in the morning – which wasn't even that late, his mum laughing at all of them as she kicked them out of the house to get breakfast.

She said the sunshine would be good for them.

MJ had her sunglasses on, activating her healing rune as they walked to The Grill.

Her steps felt lighter.

A lot lighter.

She could hear children running around in the town square, passing a soccer ball around the statue in the middle, enjoying the May sunshine and the fact that it was a Saturday. People were strolling down the streets, and for the first time in a long time, the town felt normal.

MJ was wearing Tyler's jersey around her waist since it was far too warm to use, but still wanting it on her.

She needed his energy with her. He should've come home for graduation, but Tyler said he didn't want to when MJ had called to ask him about it. He was far from Mystic Falls, he was with some werewolves, and he didn't want to come to an event his mum should've been leading.

MJ had to respect that response, fiddling with the sleeves as she walked.

Elliot hadn't been drinking, so he was wonderful while they all shuffled in, ordering brunch, waiting for MJ's runes to kick in so she could join him in smug land.

One of MJ's favourite things about hungover people was the weird combinations of food they'd eat to make themselves feel better. Ava wanted grease, bacon grease specifically, and the most bitter coffee they were willing to serve her, while Briar and Nina were all about fruit and distinctive flavours. Jason just wanted to bang his head into the tabletop until his headache went away – and no, he didn't take criticism on that method, no matter how many times they'd all pointed out how hitting wood on his head would make it hurt more.

Inside The Grill, MJ raised her sunglasses up, spotting Matt wiping down the bar while Rebekah sat by him.

Then she saw Caroline and Elena sitting at the other end, writing on tiny cards.

Elena.

Humanity-Elena.

MJ had kinda hoped to never see her again now the switch was on; however, her friends, bar Elliot, didn't know about any of the 'feuding', so chose to sit at the tables closest to them so they could all talk.

Caroline was technically an extended member of the friend group, so of course, they'd chosen to sit near her.

"Woo!" Lissa cheered, still a little tipsy, "Graduating Class!"

"Oh my god," Jason slumped on the table.

"No yelling," Briar waved her hand.

"Damn, Caroline," Elliot looked over her shoulder while they all started to take a seat, "Those are fancy graduation cards."

"I know right," Caroline beamed.

Graduation cards.

Rebekah looked at the closest one to her.

"So, let me get this straight," She inspected the beautiful cursive, "You send out a notice of your impending graduation, and people feel obliged to give you money?"

"Pretty much," Matt confirmed.

"That sounds brilliant."

Caroline nodded.