79: My Brother's Keeper

MJ registered each of the girls and their escorts, making sure to properly tease Jeremy while he and Matt got ready in a spare room. After registration, it was her job to monitor the girls until the pageant started, one of the new councilmen dealing with the guys.

Once everyone was in full 'getting ready' mode, MJ went to find her friends, momentarily checking her phone and trying not to giggle too much while heading into one of the smaller dressing rooms, where Caroline and Elena were helping April.

MJ still hadn't had a formal introduction to the girl, but at this point, it was a little too late. She walked in with her clipboard and her camera, gave a warm smile while closing the door, and watched as they tried to pick what dress April should wear.

She held up a red one, then a blue one, wearing a dressing gown, her hair and makeup finished.

"Blue," Caroline and Elena both answered.

"Really?" April frowned, "The blue seems a little safe."

"Safe is good," Elena looked over to Caroline a little awkwardly, "When it comes to the judges."

MJ nodded, thinking back on her own conversations with Carol about heritage and keeping things traditional.

"She's right," Caroline spoke firmly, "Gracie Lockwood had a three-foot slit her year and practically got laughed off the court."

Elena smiled at the memory. Something from before MJ's time.

"MJ?" April asked.

"I prefer the shade of red," She put her phone away, "The blue's too intense – but that's a personal taste thing. If you wanna win, you gotta think like the judges so..."

MJ gestured to Caroline and Elena as a way of agreeing with them.

"I saw the pictures of you last year, you looked amazing,"

"Thanks, but I was never in the running to win," MJ had known that going in, "I could get away with wearing something a little more out-there."

"I wanna win," April admitted.

Damon opened the door and looked over the clothes.

"She's got my vote," He was trying to make April blush.

MJ looked to Elena, and it seemed like the girl had forgotten how to breathe when she saw him.

MJ put on a smile.

The day was going to be a long one, but it would be fine. She could find Ty once it was started and they could go back to having a good time.

Caroline chucked a spare black shoe at his chest, "Get out, lurker!"

"Ouch," Damon said sarcastically, "Where's Professor Shane?"

"Check the judge's table," Caroline pushed Damon towards the door and tried to close it on him.

He caught it with his hand and looked back at the dresses, Elena awkwardly playing with her hair to avoid meeting his eye.

"Red one," He spoke to April, "Definitely."

Caroline growled in the middle of the room, acting as a physical obstacle between Damon and Elena's eyes, and crossing her arms, "We've already agreed that the red one is too showy."

"It's a pageant," Damon held his arms out, "That's the whole point."

"Did you win Miss Mystic last year?" Her hands moved to her hips, "No. I don't think you did."

"Neither did Elena and she wore blue," Damon retorted.

Elena looked at her shoes, surprised Damon remembered her dress colour.