91: Bring It On

Whit ended up staying the night, sleeping on the couch, both only closing their eyes at around four a.m.

She didn't say much about the actual situation, tears drying before he got there, jumping straight onto the sofa to put on TV shows that let her act like her life was normal and human – because that's Whit had always been for her.

A human escape.

He let her not talk about it, knowing enough about grief to give her time, while not letting her slip into denial.

He put the alcohol away the moment she pulled it out.

And he took control of the remote every time it seemed like she was going to pick anything slightly depressive to watch – sticking to sitcoms that genuinely made her laugh.

The only slip-up?

When he unintentionally opened a box she'd left on a side table.

"Um..." He lifted it up so she could see the contents, "MJ?"

Her eyes went wide as she grabbed it, "Sorry!"

Kol had bought her two things when he'd come back for Christmas, and she hadn't had the time to open either of them, or appreciate it – or anything.

Except, she'd known the larger box had a bra and underwear inside of it since Kol had told her that, and Whit had just held the set up for her to see, unintentionally re-breaking her heart with memories of their last day as...a something.

He started to laugh while putting on the next episode, "New boyfriend?"

"...No."

He paused to look at her.

"He died," She could be honest with him, "Like two days ago."

Whit didn't know about any of the drama.

He didn't have a side, and talking to him didn't make her feel guilty about anything because 'The Mikaelson's' had never done anything to him.

"MJ," His expression softened, "Elliot just mentioned Carol and Ric - "

"It's been a rough few months."

"Yeah, okay," He shifted a little closer to her on the sofa, "I'm not gonna wait for you to phone me again."

Her eyes finally felt heavy, like she might be able to sleep.

"I know that you probably want to shut everything out," He rubbed her hand, "But you can't."

She did want to.

MJ wanted to stop existing for a little while.

"Get back to school, get back to volunteering – we'll grab a coffee after every session, and chill," He made it sound so easy, "You need to stay around the living, no matter how much you wanna hide from society with the dead."

She managed a smile at him.

Doing something good with her human support system did sound like an achievable plan, especially since that meant she could spend time with him, and Elliot, and her human faction.

Especially Elliot.

She could catch him up, and brief him on what not to say, and he'd follow it.

Maybe, if Elena had flipped her switch on humanity, that was MJ's cue to 'hide' in it.

She wanted nothing to do with Elena anymore, so she wasn't going to go near her unless forced to, and, if she actually got back to her life, she wouldn't even be hiding from her. MJ had other friends.