96: Always and Forever

a/n: So, I'm going to merge scenes from the TVD episode, and the TO pilot in this (not all of them, just ones MJ has a connection to/where I've changed dialogue)

As usual, thanks for comments and votes - Bea xx

~***~

MJ was headed to school, having gotten up early to check-in at the Lockwood Mansion. She'd seen Tyler off, grabbed the things she'd needed for the day, then headed onto the porch, Katherine Pierce waiting for her.

MJ pulled Tyler's jersey tighter around her body, like a shield, scanning the vampire.

"Hello, Mira."

MJ slammed the door shut before facing her, "I read the note you left for Klaus."

"Happy you didn't go with him."

Katherine's hair had its perfect curls in, heels as to die for as always, leather jacket shining in the sun, on top of a shirt that was just low-cut enough to make sure no one would think she was Elena.

Katherine had killed Jeremy.

MJ felt like a broken clock.

She'd been chanting about how Klaus had killed Carol every time they'd spoken, yet she was in a better place with him than she was with some of her own 'friends.'

Then again, she had no desire to be in a good place with Elena, and a good place for her and Damon had always been relative.

Klaus had killed Carol.

Elena and Jeremy had killed Kol.

Katherine had killed Jeremy.

MJ had killed four of Klaus's hybrids, her friends had killed two of his brothers as well as their entire sire-lines.

Katherine had lost her family and been made into a villain for wanting to live.

"You got Klaus out of town so you could come home?" MJ walked towards her car, "Because I don't think you're gonna be welcomed with open arms."

It felt like years since she'd driven her Blue Bug anywhere, and she'd missed it.

"I gave Klaus some information I thought he'd want to know, and I came to town to check-in with a few people."

"One of which is me?"

"Duh."

MJ chucked her bag over to the passenger seat but didn't get in.

"Jeremy Gilbert was a casualty, among many casualties," Katherine minimalised, "I know that you cared about him, but I also know he's just gonna be a footnote in your story."

MJ didn't say anything.

"MJ, we're too alike for you to not get over it."

MJ nodded falsely, "Maybe we're alike, but we are not the same."

"True," Katherine had openly said that she didn't want MJ to be her, "We're not the same, but I'm still the person you turned to for help with Mikael. And no-humanity Stefan. And, reminder, both of those things were successful."

That was all true.

"You know my story, MJ," She spoke so clearly, "You understand it."

She didn't just understand it, she sympathised with it.

"You liked having my number in your contacts because you knew I understood and appreciated the parts of you that you weren't ready to wear in front of the rest of the world."