67: Do Not Go Gentle

Elliot spent most of their time decorating together filling MJ in on what she'd missed while dealing with...well, everything that had happened since the start of senior year. The volunteer blocks at the hospital were full, they had more donations coming in than ever because of connections they'd set up over the summer, and MJ was suddenly hit over the head with the fact she actually had things in her human life to think about. Victoria's Voices had such good groundwork that they no longer needed to fundraise every week, but it hadn't even crossed her mind since the Night of Illumination. The food-stuff had been the last thing she'd majorly contributed minus funding.

Damn.

She needed to get on that.

And her website. If she wanted to be an artist, she needed to actually start managing that. She was so happy she'd set-up all the t-shirt printing with a third party who'd been working away while she'd been busy.

AAAAA, the real world existed.

And school.

School was still a thing. A thing she'd chosen to stay and participate in...

She still had the highest GPA...She'd been using all her free periods to stay on top of work...but like? She was so tired.

How could she be so tired when she was taking fewer classes than ever before?

She'd barely been in school, and she hadn't even missed it. She'd spent so long working so hard, and she didn't regret it for a second, but walking through the doors to help with dance prep had somewhat sucked the life out of her.

Had she ruined education for herself through a hyper-fixation on grades?

She wanted to be valedictorian so badly, but she wasn't sure why.

It just felt like something she needed

MJ shook her head, trying to dispel all the negative thoughts. She loved learning. She may not like High School, but she enjoyed learning. She was just in a down mood.

She put her smile back on and went back to singing along to the background music with Elliot, half aware he kept looking at her and smirking about something.

As they finished up, Caroline nabbed her, walking MJ back to her place.

"I am really sorry."

"It's fine, Care."

"See, I know you're lying."

They headed up the stairs to her floor.

"When you mean it you say, 'Don't even worry about it!' and do this really specific smile."

MJ hadn't noticed that about herself before.

"And we should've listened...I'm really sorry about the people that died."

"I mean," MJ unlocked the door, "I hadn't seen any of them in years...and I was really looking forward to seeing them again...and now they're just dead."

She didn't really want to talk about too in-depth. She wasn't good about talking about her own shit.

"All these people who knew them their entire lives are mourning, and it's our fault. But whatever," She shook her head, "We preserve."

MJ stepped inside.

"Now, Caroline Forbes," She forced a sly smile onto her face, "Would you like to come in?"

Caroline's eyes were wide, "What?"

"If Tyler can come in, you can come in."

She took a careful step forward, "I don't know why, but I was expecting to be set on fire or something."