25: Bad Moon Rising

MJ had a bored look on her face as Ric drove them both to the Salvatore House the next morning. Damon wanted to talk to Ric, and MJ had a feeling it was going to be about werewolves. She wanted to see if the vampires were still in denial, and she wasn't about to let Damon make another plan without her knowledge.

The front door was opened by Damon.

"Sabrina. Wonderful," Damon turned away from her, "Thanks for coming, Ric, can I get you something to drink? Coffee? Bourbon? Bourbon in your coffee?"

"Elena mentioned you needed my help?"

They walked into the main room, were Stefan and Elena were sitting on the sofas with a few books out on the table. Stefan gave her a half-smile that she slightly returned, Elena clearly on edge.

"We were hoping you could help shed some light on the Lockwood family," Stefan said while looking at MJ.

"I already told you," She plopped down, picking up a book and flicking through it, "Werewolves."

It was a journal by Giuseppe Salvatore. There were pages about the Lockwood's marked with sticky notes, but it was all about vampire hunting.

"Talking to the historian," Damon took the book from her hand.

Ric sat with her, "Why would I know anything about the Lockwood's?"

"Well, you wouldn't. But your dead, not-dead vampire wife might."

"Isobel's research from when you guys were at Duke together," Elena specified.

"Are we seriously about to go on an Isobel hunt?" MJ gave them all a look.

"She spent years researching the town," Stefan justified.

"Isobel's research in Mystic Falls was rooted in folklores and legends," Ric reminded them, "At the time, I thought it was fiction."

Damon smiled, "Like that amazing vampire story."

"Aside from vampires," Elena looked at Ric, "What else did Isobel research?"

"Like MJ said, the lycanthrope."

"Seriously?" Elena hadn't been part of that conversation so was allowed to be somewhat surprised, "Werewolves are real?"

"Yep," MJ nodded.

"No way," Damon countered, "Impossible."

"Nothing's impossible, Damon," MJ snapped her fingers a few times, sparks flying.

"No, it's way too Lon Chaney."

"Is it?" Stefan asked.

"I've been on this planet one hundred and sixty some odd years, never came across one – If werewolves exist, where the hell are they?"

"In LA," MJ said bluntly, "There used to be a collection in New Orleans too, and I'm pretty sure there's a large cohort in Canada. They're there if you know how to look."

"And why didn't you mention any of this before?" Damon asked.

"I figured you knew about them!" She shrugged into the sofa, relaxing, "I mean, how self-absorbed do you have to be to not notice the rest of the supernatural world for 'one hundred and sixty-some years.'"

Damon growled.

Ric decided to spearhead the conversation, "Why do you suspect the Lockwood's?"

"Because vervain didn't affect the Mayor at Founders' Day, but the Gilbert device did," Damon listed his notes, "And it affected Tyler."