52: The New Deal

MJ felt a little unsure of her place in Mystic Falls following Homecoming. Usually, when she was unsure, she'd crash at Ric's, but since he was basically living at the Gilbert House, it felt super weird to rock up there. She'd ended up at the Lockwood's. Carol was happy to have her, especially since having a witch around could help calm her nerves about Klaus and Tyler.

MJ found herself sitting at the piano, pressing random notes while trying to collect her thoughts.

She'd felt unnaturally powerful after Homecoming, despite not being juiced up on magic. And she wanted to feel guilty about it. Damon was stressed out of his mind, so was Elena, and Stefan was MIA, but, she honestly didn't. Klaus was more useful to them alive. She was sure he'd do something to screw up to make her feel guilty, but, when that time did come, she'd have a White Oak Stake to wield.

She eventually stopped trying with the piano and found her violin. MJ had considered trying to contact Elijah again, but she didn't really owe him anything. If he was still able to see her then he'd know Mikael was dead, and it wasn't like she'd promised to un-dagger him, actually, MJ had kinda done the opposite.

And, even if she wanted to, it wasn't like she knew where Klaus was keeping him. In fact, she hadn't seen any vampire spirits in days.

After about forty minutes of playing, she got a text from Elena asking if she wanted to grab lunch at The Grill.

An ordinary high school activity, that had a very unnormal topic of conversation.

"I feel like I'm going crazy," Elena's voice was a whisper, "Totally paranoid all the time."

Bonnie lent back in her chair, looking exhausted, "You have a right to be. Klaus is still out there, and he knows you tried to kill him."

"Why hasn't he made a move? There has been no sign of him. Nothing," Elena rubbed her face, "Just my slow spiral into insanity."

"Well, I mean, he can't kill you," MJ reminded her, "He needs your blood."

Elena just shook her head again, so MJ looked at Bonnie.

"And what's been keeping you up?"

"I've been having the same nightmare, on repeat."

"The same dream?" Elena asked.

"Okay," MJ pursed her lips, dreams and witches are never a good sign, "What dream?"

"Four coffins, Klaus is in one of them...It's weird."

"What if it's not just some dream?" Elena looked to MJ, "What if it's like...you know...a witch dream?"

"It's just stress," Bonnie dismissed, "I'll figure it out. What about Stefan? Has there been any sign of him?"

"He betrayed us, Bonnie," Elena huffed.

"There's more to it than that Elena, and you know it," MJ may have been the mastermind, but Stefan had only gotten involved to save Damon.

"The Stefan that we know is gone," Her face was blank.

"How is Damon handling it?"

"Damon is...Damon."

Damon was sitting at the bar, a collection of drinks around him, day drunk while Ric marked papers next to him. MJ looked away from them and pulled a pack of cards out of her bag, a standard deck and a tarot set.

"Let's play a game," She tried for a smile.

"A game?" Bonnie knew it was gonna be about her dream, "Honestly, I'm fine. I just need a spa day or something."