Silence

And that was when whizzers mom found out he wasn't a virgin... or straight. It was a strange turnout later that night, when his mother came to pick up a tipsy, aching and very surprised whizzer.

'Mom? what are you doing here?' He exclaimed, shocked into an almost sober state.
' your friend called.' She replied, her words laced with an unseen anger and disappointment,
' get in.'

Her sentences were short and sharp, they felt like a knife digging into him. He winced, both at the tone of her voice and the effort it took to struggle into a standing position from the curb. The stone women in the car rolled her window up and stared vacantly into the distance as she waited for a stumbling whizzer to get into the passenger side. He finally reached the door and sat, unwillingly taking a small gasp of air as he did so, wincing internally.

The silence between the two was deafening, and whizzer found himself praying that everything would be alright. He had always hated the silence. He knew that it was the calm before the storm, but in this moment , he relished it. This time he knew how bad the storm would be. His Mother took a breath in, and he found himself clenching his jaw, anticipating the damage.

' you reek of sex.' she said in an icy manner.
'I'm eighteen.' he replied, mimicking her tone.

She let out a puff of air, pulled the car back out into the road and the silence began again but this time it felt toxic, sinister, dark. Whizzer began to get increasingly nervous, shooting slight glances at his mother in an attempt to read her. He started to fidget in his seat. Without meaning to, his breathing became pronounced as his worries built, and he began biting at his usually pristine fingernails. It felt like hours later when his mom finally cut through the silence again,

'Who were they? Some random girl you just happen to meet at a bar?'
'No' whizzer kept his answers short, concise as to not give anything away
'Cut the crap whizzer, I thought I raised you god damn better than this'

Whizzer stayed silent, trying to formulate some kind of response that wouldn't hurt his mother.

'Whizzer Fucking Brown, you better tell me who she was right now. You know how immature you're being right now. You need to be be careful, so many things could go wrong'

She silenced for a minute, and whizzer looked at her. He knew why she was cautious. It was how he had been conceived. His Dad had upped and left before he was even born, and he knew how much pain his mother went through trying to raise him on her own at sixteen. Even now, he could recognise when she had been crying about how difficult everything was, and how many bills were due, so he had two jobs to help her out.

'Mom...I'
She began to shout again and soon their voices were overlapping, getting overwhelmingly faster and louder before whizzer broke,
'It was a guy'