Mystery

Kazan

We still didn't have a car, so we had to walk to Mom's house. I carried Moya on my back. She wasn't very heavy. It seemed like she was starved. She was extremely skinny. I held her by her legs and had her body lean on my back. Her arms draped over my shoulders. We kept her in the same clothes she had in the apartment.

The walk was relatively quiet. We didn't say much to each other. I understood that Jacob still wanted some space. I wasn't going to deny him that. It was odd that nobody really batted an eye that I was carrying an unconscious woman on my back. My mom lived in a small house near the ocean. I never really went to the ocean. I also didn't really remember much of my childhood, to be honest.

I could see the soft waves in the distance as we neared my old house.

"What's your mom like?" Jacob asked. It was the first time he said anything since we left.

"Very protective." I answered. "I called her and told her about you. At first I was scared, but she seemed weirdly excited that she was a grandmother already." Jacob let out a deep sigh.

"Is she one of those people that will give me forty kisses on my face every time they see me?" He asked.

"No." I chuckled. "She can actually be quite imposing if you piss her off."

"How are we going to get her to talk with this Moya person you're carrying?" Jacob asked. "We can't really just walk up to her and ask her to talk with this unconscious woman you're currently carrying."

"I'll figure something out." I answered.

I knocked on the front door to the small house and waited for a response.

"Coming!" A voice yelled from the inside. We waited a few seconds before Mom opened the door. She was a woman in her mid-forties with chocolate brown hair with a slight curl at the ends. A few wrinkles decorated her face. Green eyes shined from her face. Her smile quickly disappeared when she saw an unconscious woman on my back. "Kazan! Who is that?!"

"This is what I wanted to talk about." I told her. "Can I please come in?" Mom looked at me, then at Jacob. She then sighed and nodded. She moved out of my way, and we entered the house. The bottom floor was only a kitchen and a living room with a bathroom connected to the living room.

"Who is this person?" Mom asked.

"She was someone who attacked Jacob and I." I explained. Mom then shifted her focus to Jacob.

"Oh, it's so nice to finally see you in the flesh, Jacob!" She exclaimed as she reached out to shake his hand.

"Y-Yeah." Jacob slightly smiled. I placed Moya on a kitchen table chair.

"How are you so grown up already?" Mom asked Jacob.

"Uh..." Jacob said, lost for an answer.

"I'll explain it later." I jumped in the conversation. "Anyway, this woman wanted me to ask you why she was attacking me." Mom walked over to the table and leaned down to look at Moya's face.

"What's her name?" Mom asked.

"She said it was Moya." I answered.

"Hmm." Mom said. "I know what I'll do. I'll be one-on-one with her."

"What?!" I asked. "She's just like me, only stronger."

"Don't worry." Mom chuckled. "If she does anything, you two'll come to the damsels rescue, right?" She gave out a loud laugh.

"A-Alright." I responded. "We'll go upstairs." Mom nodded as I turned to the stairs. Jacob followed me up the stairs.

"Will we really leave grandma alone with that crazy woman?" Jacob asked.