Stress Pancakes

A short One-Shot, Based on the fact that it's 2:51 am and I made enough pancakes to feed a tiny village. I do this often. It's stress reducing. Also, say hi to my damaged foot. :)

Tourma's P.O.V

   I crept behind the bar quietly, trying not to make too much noise. It was almost three in the morning and I couldn't sleep. Insomnia and nightmares keep me up and I have the weirdest coping mechanism. Cooking. Something about cooking reduces stress in me and makes me feel calm so at the craziest hours of the night, I creep downstairs, carefully walking on my toes so nobody could hear the creaking sound the stairs made every time you stepped on them. My only problem was the one person downstairs. Dabi. He was the only one with the downstairs room closest to the entrance of our hideout because he demanded to have it. It used to be my room. It was a lot easier to do this kind of thing when I was downstairs.

Searching the cabinets, I grabbed a box of pancake batter from the cupboard, setting it down on the counter and grabbing a bowl from cabinets behind me. Pouring in the powder, I grabbed a cup and filled it with water adding it to the pancake batter and mixing. That was the part that made the most noise grabbing a spoon from the silverware drawer, I started mixing, trying not to scrape the metal against the plastic bowl. The next chance I get, I'm getting silicone spoons. They make a lot less noise. Finishing the batter, I looked for anything to add, coming up short and decided on regular pancakes. Grabbing a pan and a stick of butter from the fridge, I cut off a little bit, letting it grease the pan. Keeping the butter out for pancakes, I turned up the stove top to 3, the perfect pancake setting. Pouring the batter onto the pan, it sizzled quietly, the first few bubbles rising from the edge. Grabbing a plate and metal spatula. Flipping the pancake, the batter splattered around the pan but was a golden brown none the less. Waiting a little while longer, I flipped it again, the same golden color on the other side. Smiling to myself, I placed the pancake on a plate and started the next one. I ended up with five pancakes, a lot more than I would eat.

   "What are you doing?" A groggy voice asked. Looking up from the cabinets to grab syrup, I saw a messy haired Dabi, standing by the bar. "It's like, three am go back to bed." I said, grabbing the bottle and setting it on the bar next to my plate of one-too-many-pancakes. "Did you just make pancakes? At three am?" He asked, pulling out a chair and sitting down, rubbing his eyes. "Yes. What are you doing up? I was trying to be quiet." I said, sitting down next to him with a fork and knife. "Well, I'm the closest to the bar, it's three am and nobody is making noise and I sleep light. So, if the tiniest noise is heard, I can't sleep until I know what it is. Kinda why I requested the downstairs. It was away from everyone." He said, scratching his head.

   "Sorry about the noise." I said, cutting up my pancakes and picking them up. Before I could eat it though, he grabbed the fork and stuffed them in his mouth. "Hey!" I said, snatching the silverware right back. "You're forgiven. If I can have a few." He said, getting up to grab a fork and knife. "I made too many do sure. Grab a plate too." He did as told, coming back and holding out his plate. Placing three pancakes in a stack, he grabbed the syrup and poured a bunch on top. "That's way too much." I said, grabbing it from him. "Says you. It gives it flavor. God I wish we had chocolate chips." He mumbled, digging into his sugar covered stack.

   "How often do you do this?" He asked. "I'm actually surprised this is the first time you've caught me. It's been before you've been here.  I do this almost every night. It's not always pancakes, it shuts stuff I have to work with. Grilled cheese, rice, pancakes, potatoes. Whatever's in the cabinets." I said, finishing the last of my pancakes on my plate. "I should join you more often. These were good." He said, finishing his plate and grabbing it to put in the sink. Putting my own in the sink, I yawned getting ready for bed. "Thanks." I said, putting up the syrup and box of batter. "For what?" He asked, standing by the bar. "For joining me." He smiled a little, letting me walk past before he grabbed my shirt. Kissing my cheek, he smiled and said "goodnight blue." Before walking to his room and closing the door.