Chapter 7

Evangeline's P.O.V

I woke up by the hands aggressively shaking my shoulders, making eyes shoot open and sitting up straight to see my mother's face.

"What happened?" I questioned, placing my hand to my chest to tame my racing heartbeat.

"You're late for work!" she exclaimed. "Get ready, Eva. It's nine already" she added, dramatically leaving the room and softly slammed the door closed.

A sigh of relief escaped from my lips as soon as I realized that it was nothing serious, but the way she woke me up, I thought it was an emergency.

As I was about to get up from my bed to get ready, my eyes fell towards the bedside table where my small clock stood, showing it's only 7:30 in the morning, making me groan out loud.

My work is supposed to start at 8:30. Why does she have to wake me up so early by telling me I'm late? I should've known better. She always does this thing but no wonder why I never get use to it.

Stomping towards the bathroom, slightly annoyed because my sleep got disturbed but when the thought of being able to spend some time with the kids at the orphanage popped inside of my head, all my grumpiness vanished in the air like bubbles. I love kids so much. They are just my weakness.

Getting ready as fast as I can, I bolted downstairs sending smiles to every maids looking at my silliness and excitement going to my work with a smile on their faces too. They know all too well that this is the only thing I really look forward to as I am really anti social.

"Eva, slow down. You're going to fall" my mother screeched, as she watched me run down the stairs.

Nearing her, I grabbed her cheeks to send her a kiss before going to work, when she stopped me.

"Where do you think you're going young lady without having your breakfast?" she questioned with her eyebrow raised at me.

Just as I opened my mouth to say something, she cut me off. "You're not going anywhere until you eat breakfast. So, I suggest you to sit down your butt right now and eat before I tell your father to not let you go" she ranted, immediately making all words that I wanted to say go away and my body obediently sit down on the chair, careful enough not to argue with her as it might result cancelling my plans for today.

Letting out a sigh, I shoved the pancakes down my throat as fast as I could without making myself choke, while my mother watched me with disappointment. Probably thinking where all my lady manners went.

The second I finished eating, I stood up from the chair and ran towards the front door before she could even say anything to me and to see Ricardo, our driver was already waiting for me outside.

"Good morning, Ric" I greeted the young guy around my age with a smile on my face.

"Good morning, Eva" he greeted back while he opened the car door for me.

Ricardo started working for us last year. He's around my age and is really kind. My father decided to appoint him to drop and pick me up from and to the orphanage so that I can be comfortable and free around him.

I'm really close with all our workers since I don't really have friends and having Ricardo as my driver and bodyguard was really a blessing for me as we are at the same age.

Driving towards the orphanage which is a 20 minutes drive and for the whole time I can't help but feel giddy. I haven't seen the kids this weekend because I don't have shifts on those days but it feels like ages. They are the only ones that keep me occupied and happy.

As we reached our destination, I hopped out of the car not even bothering to wait for Ricardo to open the door for me as he usually does, making him shake his head at me.

"See you again at 5:30" he exclaimed, watching me get inside towards the adorable kids already waiting at the front.

Once they caught a sight of me, all of them came rushing to me, laughing and giggling. They reached and hugged my legs making me stumble back and almost lose my balance.

"Kids, take it easy on her." Anna, who works full time at the orphanage exclaimed, smiling at the kids' silliness.

"we missed you so much!" Marie, a seven year old, said as she clung to my legs along with the others around her age too who all are looking up to me with their chubby, rosey cheeks and gleaming eyes.

"I missed you guys more" I answered, squatting down at their level to give them a hug.

The kids really don't have anyone to play with except for themselves as Anna usually is too busy whether cleaning or cooking. There are very less workers here in the orphanage,except for Anna's grandmother's friend that comes frequently to help around.

"Come you all. Let's get inside" I ordered softly leading them inside.

"Come on, Eva. Play with us please?" Marko pleaded with his adorable pout, making it impossible for me to decline.

"No kids, not now. Let her breath first" Anna interrupted, making the kids almost whine.

"No, it's completely fine, Anna," I replied smiling at her, making her sigh.

Anna is just a few years older than me and spends her time dedicated to the kids here who are unfortunate not to have a family. This orphage belongs to her grandmother who is currently in London with her sister.

There are a total of 15 kids here in and all are mostly girls. In fact, there are only 3 boys here. It is very less compared to other orphanages.

As we proceeded towards the backyard, the kids won't stop jumping in excitement and happiness, making me almost cry at their innocence. I'm really touched at how excited they get at such small things.

As we played and ran around, Anna suddenly came calling out my name. "Eva, can you please come inside for a minute. We have to discuss something" she explained, making me walk inside leaving the kids to play amongst themselves.

"Yes, Anna?" I questioned, taking a seat in front of her.

"We will be having guests tomorrow. Would you be able to lend a hand?" she questioned, making me nod my head yes without even giving it a second thought..

And just as I was about to ask her about the guests that would be coming over, her phone rang, stopping me as she excused herself to answer it, leaving me thinking whom they might be.

_______

Who else loves kids here?? Lemme know.

Make sure to vote and comment your thoughts.