Chapter 43

Evangeline's P.O.V

"He loves me dad" I mumbled looking down at my feet, making father chuckle as he mocked me.

I didn't know where all my courage was coming from but all I know is that, you'll have courage when you have a love that encourages you.

"Foolish girl. Do you think the word love exists in his world? Do you think he would fall in love with the daughter of a man who ruined his life? Do you think a mafia leader like him would fall in love with a girl who knew nothing about the outside world?" He exclaimed, making me confused as my head took time processing my father's every word but nothing seemed to be making sense.

Mafia leader?

The guy who did nothing but made me feel that I'm special, that I'm loved, who treats me with so much care and tenderness is a mafia leader? And what did my father mean by the daughter of a man who ruined his life?

I need answers, answers that only Abram and my father could give me.

"He would never fall for you, Evangeline! He's just using you" he boomed making me flinch as I stepped back away from him in fear of getting hit once again.

"That's where you're wrong, dad. You don't know Abram." I answered as I stared at him straight in the eyes, as I willed myself not to back down. To fight for myself, for the man who promised me forever.

Laughing again at my face, he shook his head as his eyes that once held warmth and love replaced with anger and disgust towards me.

"Are you trying to tell me that I don't know Abram? The same Abram that I bowed to take down? I know love makes people blind but I didn't know it also makes them stupid" he exclaimed while I stood at the corner away from him constantly wiping the tears that constantly fell, without touching the bruise that's surely forming on my cheek.

"Tell me how much you know him. Did you know that he's a mafia leader? Did you know that he kills and torture people like they're just a piece of sh*t? Did you know that he f*cking sent his friend to you to give me a file to make me forcefully give the shares and contract to him? Did you know that he's the reason why I lost my company? And did you know that he's currently behind the bars right now because of getting caught selling illegal things?" He mocked, making me shoot my head up as I heard his last sentence.

He's at the jail? No, that's not true. We're supposed to be going out tonight and he's not a mafia leader! He's not a murderer! And mostly he's not in jail! I tried to assure myself while tearing up but I knew at the back of my head I was just fooling myself.

All were starting to make sense, that guy that looked familiar, he was Abram's friend and him always talking about shipments whenever someone calls him. The shipments were illegal things!

How could I be so blinded that despite everything being right in front of my eyes, I failed to see it?

"Tell me did you know that he's in jail?" My father mocked me once more as I fell on the floor sobbing.

" Do you still think he loves you?" He added as he bent down at my level while I looked down at the floor.

"Do you think a player like him would ever choose you? He got women falling at his feet and you're not even close to them. You're not on his standards. Look at you!" he added, and even though I was trying not to let his words get into me somehow he succeeded.

How could I forget that? How did I even think that a simple girl like me would ever have a chance with him? Did love really made me so blinded?

I have to see it for myself. He's probably at the park waiting for me. I know my father is just trying to get into me.

Even though my self-respect was bruised, a small part of me was still not giving up because I had faith in Abram, but I was so wrong and I knew that but yet my pathetic and desperate heart was not ready to accept the harsh truth.

Standing up with shaky legs, I turn towards the door to leave, expecting my father to stop which he didn't, thankfully.

Running towards the front door, I couldn't stop the tears that were flowing non-stop like a fall.

Wiping the tears harshly, I winced as my hand made a contact with my now swollen cheek that still throbs.

I still can't believe what just happened. One second, I'm on cloud 9 and excited to spend some time with Abram and the next second, I'm with a badly bruised cheek, walking through the cold dark night towards the park, hoping that I would see him there at the usual bench waiting for me to take me into his arm as he caresses my arms and showers me with his kisses.

As the post lamps of the park came into view, with the energy left on my body, I dashed forward where I knew he would be waiting for me, but he wasn't. He's not there.

In fact, there are barely people in the park as it's already late. Sitting down at the bench, I tried to assure myself that he probably got stuck in traffic. I tried my best to not let the hope and trust that's still glimmering inside me to fade but as the second past by it was becoming hard to do so.

I know I was just fooling myself, sitting all alone with no enough clothes to warm me up from the cold harsh wind of the night.

I got so blinded with lies that seeing the real world full of harsh truth makes me want to be rather fed with lies that only last for a few moments but at least it made me happy.

So, Abram is in jail...

How is this chapter, guys? I hope you enjoyed it.♥️♥️😘🙏🏻🙏🏻

Stay tuned for more.