Chapter 18

ALEX P. O. V (Evangeline's father)

As I signed and read all the paperwork in front of me, the phone suddenly ringing in front of me, made me halt.

"Sir, Evangeline was spotted with Valentino at a restaurant." Said one of our men that I trusted the most when it comes to my daughter.

Upon hearing his words, it felt like a bucket of cold water was thrown at me, making all the words that I wanted to say disappeared.

This can't be happening. All these years of trying to shield and protect her from that man are now just coming down in crumbs.

I know exactly what type of games Valentino is trying to play. He will try to use Evangeline against me just like what we did to them but this time, I won't let history repeat itself.

There's still time, maybe I can still protect my innocent Evangeline from that monster.

"Sir?" The man broke me out of my thoughts as I mentally cursed myself for not taking the hints that Valentino was giving that night. How can I be so careless and mostly why did I have to take the chances of bringing Evangeline to that event despite knowing very well that what risks I'm putting her into?

Are all of these really worth it? Is it worth it to jeopardize my daughter's safety?

"Just let them be and we'll see what happens when she gets back home. But, until then keep me updated" I responded with such a heavy feeling inside my chest just by thinking of my daughter all alone with that guy.

What if he turns her against me? What if he told her everything that we had done in the past?

No, I can't let that happen. I won't let him turn my daughter against me and mostly I would never let him tell Evangeline about what happened and I would do whatever it takes even if it means starting another war again.

Sitting at the couch waiting for Evangeline to come, I tried to ease myself by getting some of my paperwork done but my mind wasn't allowing me to focus on the task in my hand. I couldn't wait for her to come home.

Maybe I shouldn't let her go out anymore, but for how long would I control her life like a kid or like a bird trapped inside a cage? For how long will I be able to control her till she realizes that her father is not a saint like she always look up to?

"Sir? Miss Evangeline is here" one of the guards reported through the speaker breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Sir, she's with Valentino." The guard spoke out again, making me rush towards the window to see it with my own eyes.

As I stood discreetly behind the windows, it felt like someone was opening up the wounds that I tried so hard to close.

I saw them exchange their goodbyes like lovers and I can already see my innocent Evangeline falling for that guy's charms.

Little did my princess know what she's throwing herself into but as long as I'm alive, I won't let Valentino have his way with her.

And when I saw Evangeline getting inside, I quickly got back to my seat pretending that I wasn't just watching her a second ago. As her father, it's heartbreaking that I had to control her life even though she's already 21 years old but I completely had no choice.

I can't let her know how much of a beast her father is.

As she got inside, I called her out and she decided to sit with me, explaining to me that I should get some rest but then I decided to ask her about her lunch.

"Yeah, I was with a friend of mine. But how do you know about it?" She responded as she stared down at her fingers not meeting my eyes.

"I know every single thing you do, Evangeline. Where you go, with whom and where. And I also know that Valentino came here dropping you" I stated, trying my best not to look at her shocked expression due to the sudden change in my voice.

"Listen, Evangeline. I don't want this type of shit to be repeated. Do you get me? This would be the first and last time" I warned making her beautiful grey eyes glistened with tears threatening to spill, breaking my heart.

I hate seeing you cry but I have to do this.

" Why, dad?" She whispered, making my eyes widened in shock. She's questioning me now.

"Just stay away from him, Evangeline" I fumed, getting up and leaving her alone, praying silently that I can stop this war from starting but it looks like this time Valentino won't miss his shot this time.

________
How are you guys finding this story? Do let me know and what do you think Alex was talking about? Make sure to share your thoughts. 😘😘😘